Beginner Home Networking Setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

joak928

Apr 4, 2024
Hey everyone,

I'm diving into setting up a home network and could use some advice. While I'm pretty tech-savvy, networking is new territory for me. Currently, I'm using a basic wireless mesh system (Orbi), but I'm looking to upgrade since we are in the middle of a renovation.

I'm planning to run Cat6 (CMR UTP 23AWG) throughout our basement and upgrade the existing 5e cables elsewhere in the house. Are there any wiring considerations I should keep in mind? I believe I've read that there can be interference if it's run near/parallel to Romex - is this an issue and what's best practice?

All of the networking gear will be housed in its own space in a server rack. This network will handle a mix of devices:
  • Laptops
  • Smartphones
  • Desktop computers
  • IoT gadgets (like Smart TVs, appliances, etc.)
  • Gaming consoles
  • 6-8 PoE surveillance cameras (still deciding)
  • Either a NVR or BI
  • Media streaming (probably Plex)
  • A home security system/base station
I've been reading up about VLANs and think I might need them to organize these devices better, but I still need to figure that part out.

Right now, I'm on the hunt for a switch, and the Brocade ICX7250-48P caught my eye based on my research here, but I'm open to suggestions. Also, what other hardware should I consider? Looking to stay budget-conscious, so reliable used items from eBay are ideal...does not have to be the latest and greatest.

Thanks for all the help—I've already learned a ton from this forum!

sic0048

Dec 24, 2018
If you will have access to run wiring now during the renovation that won't be available in the future, you definitely need to concentrate on running wiring now. Not just network wiring, but anything you could see yourself needing in the future (ie alarm wiring, CCTV cables, low voltage wiring for sprinklers, outdoor lights, etc. You should also run network cables to any potential WiFi AP location. Using a mesh WiFI network is easy, but not the best/fastest solution.

I think you are on the right track when it comes to network cable. However I would run the best cable possible. Cat 6 cable is a pretty old standard at this point. While it is better than the Cat5e cable you likely already have, there are multiple generations of newer/higher spec cabling available. I would suggest running Cat7 or better at this point.

I would also consider running some fiber if appropriate. You certainly don't need to run it everywhere, but consider running it between your service demarcation point and the place where you will have your router/network equipment. I would also suggest running fiber anywhere you might have an additional switch or other networking equipment in the future. I would just run LC/LC duplex fiber at this point unless you have a specific use case where something else would be more appropriate. It is probably appropriate to run several pairs to each locations however.

As far as hardware goes, this is less important because it is easily changed in the future. However I have Brocade switches myself and would recommend them because of the wonderful resources available from this forum. I would also suggest that you look at individual WiFi APs hardwired into the network (instead of using mesh). This will result in a faster, more stable WiFi network.

Finally you might consider looking at pfSense or OPNsense as your firewall/router solution. They are very robust solutions that are great for home and business use. The software will likely be able to handle ANY situation you need which gives you room to grow as your networking skills increase.

Reactions: joak928

joak928

Apr 4, 2024
Would it make sense to run the wiring in conduit for ease of upgrading in the future? I've read about people suggesting smurf tube...

sic0048

Dec 24, 2018
Conduit is great for future proofing. But ideally you install empty conduit (with pull strings) only for future proofing. Any current wiring needs should be run outside of the conduit because once you get a wire or two in the conduit, it becomes much harder to add more wiring. It kind of defeats the purpose of installing conduit if you fill it up to start with.

Depending on how your home is constructed, you can also be selective in where you put conduit. For example, if you have attic access above a living space or open access to the floor structure below a living space, you really don't need to run conduit down in interior walls because it is relatively easy to do that in the future. However you would definitely want to ensure you can get wiring into the attic or floor space in the future, so you might have a larger conduit into the those spaces, but not down to every wall drop.

If you don't have attic/floor access, then running conduit to wall drops will make running more wires in the future much easier. You might also want to run conduit for any "outside" wall drops because running cable through the wall insulation can be problematic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koop and joak928

joak928

Apr 4, 2024
As far as fiber goes to link switches, would something like this be sufficient? TLC Duplex Cable 3mm

I would likely run an additional PoE switch in the attic for surveillance cameras in the upper areas of the house (if that makes sense).

If I plan on putting some cameras on the main switch in the networking closet and some in the upper areas of the home with a separate switch located in the attic, what considerations would I need to take for switch compatibility?

Meaning, I would likely have a 48 port PoE switch in the main networking closet, but I would only need an 8 port PoE or so for the added switch. Would I be able to mix switches if the main was an ICX7250-48P?

Also, can any hardwired WiFi access point be used with Brocade switches? What are some that you would recommend that are cost efficient?

Last edited:

sic0048

Dec 24, 2018
I honestly would purchase premade fiber runs instead of using raw fiber that would need to be terminated later. Something like this: https://www.fs.com/products/88535.html?attribute=802&id=1790096

As far as "remote" switches, it make it much easier to run wiring, but don't plan on putting the physical switch in the attic space. Most switches aren't designed to function in a typical attic environment (temp and humidity ranges). But you could probably allocate some space in a upstairs closet for this use.

As far as connecting switches together, technically any two switches can be connected together. However if you choose a brand/model of switch that supports "stacking" then you can combine the two switches into a single management unit. This makes managing the switch much easier because you'll only have to deal with one "switch" that includes all the connected hardware. However you generally have to choose the same model and manufacturer to stack a switch. They can be different capacities (ie a 24 port switch stacked with a 48 port switch), but they probably can't be different models. Of course be sure to research this before purchasing any switch. Stacking is definitely a common feature of "business grade" switches (and is available on most of the Brocade switches), but is less common with "consumer grade" switches.

Just like switches, you should be able to use just about any WiFi access point system in your network design. However some systems are designed to be managed under a single GUI if you use all hardware from the same company. Ubiquity is an example of this. I actually use Ubiquity WiFi APs in my network, but that is the only Ubiquity gear I own. I use it with Brocade switches and pfSense firewall. This means I can't mange everything from a single GUI, but I can pick and choose the network gear I want to use.

PS - Ubiquity gear is very popular and again I use their WiFi APs in my system. That being said, I am not a fan of the Ubiquity gear and will eventually replace my APs with some other brand. I constantly feel that I am a beta tester when it comes to their products and software updates. But that is just my personal experience and there are plenty of Ubiquity users that love their gear.

There are plenty of WiFi AP systems out there. Ubiquity, Rukus, TP-Link are just a couple that I can name off the top of my head, and I'm not an expert by any stretch.

Reactions: joak928

joak928

Apr 4, 2024
Thank you! Makes sense to house the switch in an upstairs closet and just route the cabling through the attic instead. The 24 port Brocades are fairly inexpensive 2nd hand, so that isn't a bad option. I already have some networking jacks installed, so I may be able to just use that as a pull line for fiber to stack the switches (assuming it isn't stapled to studs in a vertical run).

I actually installed a Ubiquity UniFi system for my in-laws and I remember it being a real pain...my understanding is they just have really great marketing. That said, I'll look into some of the other AP systems. I saw some "cheap" Cisco Excess inventory on eBay, but not sure how complex it is to set up.

Thank you for all of the insight!