Beelink GTR6 Review An Improved AMD Ryzen Mini PC

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
It's an incremental upgrade, but the question is whether it's worth it at the current retail price. Rembrandt (the Ryzen 6000 series APUs) are announced last year, and AMD announced its replacement (Phoenix Point/Dragon Range) during CES2023. That being said, AMD is selling 3 generations of Zen cores thanks to its new naming scheme (well, 4 soon), so you'll need to brush up if you want to avoid paying today's money for yesterday's tech. AMD also have the tendency to take 2 quarters for any announced products to make it to the hands of consumers.

Things to keep in mind:
a) Yeah, the 680M is the most powerful iGPU out there, but it's still around the GPU horsepower of the old Kaby Lake-G (the 65w one variant, not the fullbore one). The 780M in the Phoenix/Dragons will see an uplift between 15 to 20% above that.
b) No USB4, so no external GPU support
c) RDNA2 only have AV1 decode, not encode. So if you plan to use it as a media machine for plex you won't be able to encode AV1 for later, and it's not like you can slap an A750 on an external GPU dock to help out
d) Speaking of which, AMD's H264 encoder seem to be a bit behind NvEnc and Intel's Xe/Arc hardware transcoders in terms of quality, so keep that in mind if you plan to stream things via OBS.

Oh yeah, I should review my new (well, 3 months old) HP Elitebook 845 G9. That's a Rembrandt.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdrianBc

AdrianBc

Mar 29, 2021
At least according the specifications published by AMD, the new GPU of AMD Phoenix is not only significantly faster than the GPU of AMD Rembrandt, mainly due to higher GPU clock frequencies and dual operation issue, but the video encode/decode block is hugely improved.

While Rembrandt is able to decode only 1080p and to encode only up to 2160p in 8 bit color only in H.264 and H.265, AMD Phoenix is able to both decode and encode up to 4320p in 10 bit color with all important codecs and at frame rates that are 4 to 5 times higher than those achieved by Rembrandt.

I was considering buying a small computer with AMD Rembrandt, like the one reviewed here or ASUS PN53, but after noticing the extreme differences in video encode/decode capabilities I have decided to wait for AMD Phoenix.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
At least according the specifications published by AMD, the new GPU of AMD Phoenix is not only significantly faster than the GPU of AMD Rembrandt, mainly due to higher GPU clock frequencies and dual operation issue, but the video encode/decode block is hugely improved.

While Rembrandt is able to decode only 1080p and to encode only up to 2160p in 8 bit color only in H.264 and H.265, AMD Phoenix is able to both decode and encode up to 4320p in 10 bit color with all important codecs and at frame rates that are 4 to 5 times higher than those achieved by Rembrandt.

I was considering buying a small computer with AMD Rembrandt, like the one reviewed here or ASUS PN53, but after noticing the extreme differences in video encode/decode capabilities I have decided to wait for AMD Phoenix.
Eh, no. Rembrant can decode way more than 1080p and encode (slightly) more than 2160p for both H264 and HEVC. You can actually see the VCN hardware capability definitions on the AMDGPU code shipped. If you look at the Navi series device definitions on the Linux kernel AMDGPU tree, it actually shows the definitions for Yellow Carp, which is the Linux dev codename for Rembrandt (with VCN 3.1.1 or 3.1.2)
Note that the Navi video encode block is common across all Navi2x versions, but the yellow carp gets its own set of video decoding abilities:

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 10.04.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 10.05.23 PM.png
So what can Navi encode? MPEG4 AVC (H264) at 4096x2304 (4k 16:9 at square pixels, basically) and HEVC (H265) at the same resolution.
Rigaya (developer for Vceencc) mentioned that AVC is limited to 8 bit, while HEVC should be okay for 10.

As for decoding:

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 10.04.39 PM.png
That's H264 at 4096x4096, HEVC, VP9 and AV1 at 8192x4352, and JPEG up to 4096x4096. bpp is not specified but I don't see any specific reason why it'll trip on 10 bit. I mean, I had 4k H264 and H265 10 bit hardware playback on APUs with Vega/VCN 1 (both the V1756B on the t740 and the R1505G on the t640), so why won't the Rembrandt do the same?

What about Phoenix (which will probably use a forked version of RDNA3, which is denoted as SOC21 on the AMDGPU codebase?
No flipping idea since it's not out yet (and the latest release candidates for amdgpu does not show any new hardware definitions), but SOC21 defines VCN 4.0.0 and 4.0.2:

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 10.52.46 PM.png
So what can it encode/decode?

Roughly the same as Rembrandt...at least in terms of Linux support. RDNA3 does feature AV1 hardware encoding, but it's not enabled in Linux yet.

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 10.52.36 PM.png

As for the speed comparison between the VCN versions in the APUs? No flipping idea. Leaked benchmarks point to a 18-25% CPU and GPU uplift overall between Phoenix and Rembrandt, and this is between the near-flagship 7840HX and the current 6800HX, and AMD didn't even announce the 7x40Us that will go into most mainstream thin-and-lights yet. AMD's motivation for going to RDNA3 is supposedly better performance per-watt (benefits battery life/TDP numbers), and not necessarily to get massive jumps in performance - I think the RDNA3 benchmark numbers for the discrete cards offered 40% uplift max, and only for certain apps, and since AMD rushed it out, they had that entire vapor chamber design issue on the stock coolers (whoops!), and a higher-than-expected idle wattage issue (driver fix). I probably should look for RDNA2/RDNA3 VCN performance/wattage numbers between, say, a 6900XT and a 7900XT just to get an idea of what the uplift "might" look like.

Windows support for AVC/HEVC transcoding is present if you use VceEncc and FastFlix, and yes, it does work on 4k. How do I know? Eh, I have it running on my Elitebook 845G9 (Ryzen 5 Pro 6650U/Radeon 660M), dual channel DDR5-4800. Given a 3840x2160 10bit HEVC file that needs to go to H264 (40k VBR), it ran slightly below realtime. It can do it, but AMD needs to put more work into the code. It could be the API, it could be the code, it could be the wattage limitations, or other factors. I might use AMD APU Tuning Utility (AATU) to bump the wattage up from the relatively cool 15-20w that it run to the 28w that it can go to. Maybe it'll speed things up...or maybe not.

Conversion Metrics R5-6650.png

Preset-4k-R5-6650U.png

Hmm...vceencc 7.18 is also a bit old. Riyaga has it up to 8.04 already.
Well, as a compare and contrast - on an i5-1240p machine (my Framework 12th gen) with dual channel DDR4 memory and using QSVEnc...

QSV.png

Yeah, the AMD was getting spanked by Intel Quicksync. Even with the VBR cranked to 50Mbps (instead of the 40), the Tiger Lake i5 took almost 1/3 of the time. What can I say? AMD has quite a bit of ways to go to reach speed parity with Intel.

Results.png

That Framework 12th Gen was LOUD running that short 400Mbps jellyfish HEVC file transcode.

For AMD laptop hardware, either it'll be brilliant but come in derpy chassis (soldered RAM, even soldered Wifi in some Lenovo Ideapad 5 pro models), or it'll take a long time for you to receive it (the Elitebook 845G9 didn't have a ready-to-ship for the 6800U model until 13 months after the APU was announced during CES 2022).

As for TinyMiniMicro nodes? You probably won't see phoenix TMMs en-masse until Intel Meteor Lake is almost around as none of the usual TMM makers (Lenovo or HP) release a Zen4 (Ryzen 7000 desktop) based TMM node thus far.

Last edited:

AdrianBc

Mar 29, 2021
Eh, no. Rembrant can decode way more than 1080p and encode (slightly) more than 2160p for both H264 and HEVC. You can actually see the VCN hardware capability definitions on the AMDGPU code shipped. If you look at the Navi series device definitions on the Linux kernel AMDGPU tree, it actually shows the definitions for Yellow Carp, which is the Linux dev codename for Rembrandt (with VCN 3.1.1 or 3.1.2)

All the AMD pages with the detailed specifications of Rembrandt products show only 1080p decode capabilities, for instance:

Even for the new rebranded Rembrandt, e.g. Ryzen 7 7735HS, the same information is shown.

If in fact Rembrandt is better than that, then this is another failure of AMD to adequately document their products.

Even if Rembrandt is better than documented, Phoenix still adds at least AV1 encode/decode, 10-bit encode for all 3 codecs, 4320p encode for all 3 codecs and up to 5 times higher encode/decode frame rates.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
All the AMD pages with the detailed specifications of Rembrandt products show only 1080p decode capabilities, for instance:

Even for the new rebranded Rembrandt, e.g. Ryzen 7 7735HS, the same information is shown.

If in fact Rembrandt is better than that, then this is another failure of AMD to adequately document their products.

Even if Rembrandt is better than documented, Phoenix still adds at least AV1 encode/decode, 10-bit encode for all 3 codecs, 4320p encode for all 3 codecs and up to 5 times higher encode/decode frame rates.
Oh. The hardware encode/decode max bandwidth thing? THAT? I don't think it means what you think it means...

Let's see. Here's what it says on my 6650U:

Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 10.35.30 PM.png

And what it says for the 7840HS:

Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 10.36.59 PM.png

So if you take it at face value and that this is the color depth/format/bitrate it can do, VCN4 on 7840HS can't do 10 bit H264 encodes or decodes, can only encode at 8 bit for H265 and decode at 8 or 10 bit H265, and can only decode 8/10 bit VP9, and it can only encode/decode 8/10 bit AV1.
So if the assumption is that they can only do 1080p, why include a framerate that's non-standard? Like, who puts out 1080p videos at 786 frames per second? Most published content out there are 30 or 60 fps.
They also make the phrasing as awkward as possible. Why go out of your way to include "(SDR)" on the encoding categories...when 10 bit AV1 is clearly NOT SDR? The question is...is that what its capabilities really are? Or what the theoretical bandwidth limitations for the video decode hardware or the memory subsystem feeding the GPU would be?

For example, looking at the numbers quoted for the 6650U, if you tally up what is needed for 8 bit 1920x1080 @205fps, that's around 13Gbps of signal bandwidth. 8 Bit 2560x1440@115fps is also around 13Gbps of signal bandwidth. How much is 8 bit 3840x2160@51 fps? Also around 13Gbps.

If you go through the all of the bandwidth requirements for decoding/encoding the bitstream, the numbers all converge around 13GBps - Rembrandt can sustain a 13 Gbps video stream through VCN3.1.1, and that's consistent across all formats it can work with. The encoder/decoder can process a 13Gbps video data at whatever format it supports at real time. If your video codec's bandwidth is whatever fraction of that 13Gbps, it's maximum encode/decode can happen at the inverse of that fraction. For example, if I am encoding 10 Bit H265 at 3840x2160 @30fps on my 6650U, it'll need 8.96Gbps of bandwidth, and in the perfect world, it should happen at 1.4x of real time. Of course, that's theoretical - actual perfromance depends on the code quality, driver quality, hardware state, and etc. The Rembrandt using vceencc 7.14 on VCN3 actually ran it slightly below realtime (26fps instead of 30), but VCN can and will do it. How do I know? I asked the hardware. There's a hardware capability query function on vceencc:

C:\Users\WANg> C:\Users\WANg\Downloads\VCEEncC_7.18_x64\VCEEncC64.exe --check-features
device #0: AMD Radeon
H.264/AVC encode features
10bit depth: no
acceleration: Hardware-accelerated
max profile: High
max level: unknown
max bitrate: 100000 kbps
ref frames: 1-16
Bframe support: yes
HW instances: 1
pre analysis: yes
max streams: 16
timeout support: yes

H.264/AVC input:
Width: 128 - 4096
Height: 128 - 4096
alignment: 32
Interlace: no
pix format: YUV420P[7], YV12[2], BGRA[3], RGBA[5], ARGB[4], NV12[1](native)
memory type: DX11(native), OPENCL, OPENGL, HOST

H.264/AVC output:
Width: 128 - 4096
Height: 128 - 4096
pix format: NV12[1](native)

H.265/HEVC encode features
10bit depth: yes
max profile: main
max level: unknown
max bitrate: 100000 kbps
ref frames: 1-16
pre analysis: yes
timeout support: yes

H.265/HEVC input:
Width: 128 - 8192
Height: 128 - 4352
pix format: YUV420P[7], YV12[2], BGRA[3], RGBA[5], ARGB[4], NV12[1](native), P010[10](native)

H.265/HEVC output:
Width: 128 - 8192
Height: 128 - 4352
pix format: NV12[1](native), P010[10](native)

device #0: AMD Radeon
H.264/AVC decode features

H.264/AVC output:
Width: 32 - 4096
Height: 32 - 2160
Interlace: yes
pix format: NV12[1](native), BGRA[3], RGBA[5]
memory type: DX11(native)

H.265/HEVC decode features
max streams: 0

H.265/HEVC output:
Width: 32 - 7680
Height: 32 - 4320

VP9 decode features

VP9 output:

AV1 decode features
max streams: 0

AV1 output:

If it fits the criteria outlined, VCN will accept the codec and generate a video bitstream based on whether it adheres to width/height/color depth restrictions - VCN is actually quite flexible at what it can do, but it comes at the cost of not being all that fast (at least not on APUs where they are limited by main system RAM bandwidth and CU count).
Even then, I am not sure if this is entirely correct. How's that? Well, let's see - we can fire up Google Chrome, load up Youtube, pop up a 2160p60 HDR video (that's 10 bit and H264) and see how the video codepath handles it. Huh. Video Codec 0 is on nearly 90%, and CPU is only at ~13%. There's some framedrops here and there but it looks good, and the machine is on Win10's balanced power plan.

GPU Usage Costa Rica 2160p60.png

What about 1440p?

GPU Usage Costa Rica 1440p60.png

Yeah, it works. The codepath is sending playback to the VCN and not the CPU. So eh, VCN 3.1 can actually decode 10 bit H264. But then you can probably do that with Vega on a Renoir or Cezanne as well. There's really not that much functionality difference between VCN3 on RDNA2, and VCN2 on Vega for Renoir/Cezanne.

What that page tells you is not an indication of whether the VCN can encode/decode at a specific format at a specific bitrate, it's more like what your theoretical limitations should look like.
The Phoenix? If you feed the claimed bandwidth numbers and crunch them, they all converge around 40Gbps. Is it an improvement? Compared to Rembrandt? Yeah. Will it transcode videos at 2-3x multiples of Rembrandt? Probably - but that's something that Alder Lake can do already using Quicksync - the question is whether QSV have the same flexibility as VCN - my past experience with QSV is that it works on certain popular color/resolution/fps gradients only - feed it 8 bit H264 1080p30 and it'll work. Feed it 8 bit H264 1920x1200p24? It might fail with a "resolution not supported, this is not on the menu, guy" error.

On this HP Elitebook 845G9 with Rembrandt, I have a good quiet general purpose Windows laptop with decent casual gaming capabilities (RDNA2 is found in the steamDeck, XBox S/X and the PS5 so the drivers should be fairly solid), a pair of DDR5 SODIMM slots, decent screen (1920x1200 400 nit IPS, though), good runtime on the battery and full USB4 support which acts as a form of future proofing...as in, I can just plug in something that'll do AV1 encoding in the future if I am so inclined (like an Intel A750 Arc or a later Radeon desktop GPU off a TB3 GPU dock), which this Beelink mini-PC can't, and I didn’t buy it primarily to transcode videos.

So is this Beelink good for media center duty? Sure...if your content is up to 1440p60, and fairly standard - why not, but the better choice for that use-case would be an Alder or Raptor Lake mini-box - they tend to run hotter but solid XeLP GPUs (a tad slower than their Vega/RDNA2 APU counterparts but much better than their previous iGPUs) and very good Quicksync functionality. But if it's better casual gaming and good general purpose CPU, the Rembrandt is good and available now. Or if you are willing to take a hit on GPU gaming performance but keep the Zen3 cores? A Desktop Cezanne mini-PC like a Lenovo m75q-2 with something like an R7 Pro-5750GE will actually be competitive, be cheaper and ships today. AMD was also rather quiet about the mainstream versions of Raphael (the AM5/Zen4 APUs that came out in Q3 '22, but they are mostly meant for high end machine with expensive board options). This is why there are no Zen4 TMMs (like Lenovo ThinkCentre m75q-3 or HP EliteDesk 805G9s) out yet.

If it's the Phoenix/Zen4 and you absolutely want RDNA3 graphics? Eeeeeeeeh, you might have to wait until Q4 for them to start showing up on mini-desktops...by that time it's just another 1-3 months until CES2024 when Meteor Lake (with Xe2 LPG on Intel 4) and 8x5x/Strix Point (Zen5 and RDNA3+ on TSMC N3) announcements happen.

Last edited:

AdrianBc

Mar 29, 2021
Oh. The hardware encode/decode max bandwidth thing? THAT? I don't think it means what you think it means...
Thanks for the info.

The problem is that AMD is particularly bad in documenting the hardware capabilities of most of their products.

So if one is not willing to lose money by buying a possibly useless product, anything not mentioned expressly in the official AMD specifications cannot be assumed, unless found in some published review or in some experience shared by a user on the Internet.

Extremely few of those provide an exhaustive report of the video encoding and decoding capabilities.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Thanks for the info.

The problem is that AMD is particularly bad in documenting the hardware capabilities of most of their products.

So if one is not willing to lose money by buying a possibly useless product, anything not mentioned expressly in the official AMD specifications cannot be assumed, unless found in some published review or in some experience shared by a user on the Internet.

Extremely few of those provide an exhaustive report of the video encoding and decoding capabilities.
Well, I did wrote up a fairly detailed description of VCN 1.0 capabilities during my review of the HP t740 from…wow, almost 3 years ago…but almost no one looks at the old stuff on STH, and I never actually got around to finish writing about my HP mt46, which is Renoir/Vega/VCN2 based…but yeah, not that many people really focus on that.

AMD’s APU transcoding did have a fairly *meh* reputation (compared to nVidia nvenc and Intel QSV) up until recently…mostly because their VCE ASIC capability depends on which generation of APU you have, and between K10 and Ryzen, no one really cared (the entire “heavy equipment” series of AMD CPU cores were a bit of a power hungry mistake), and the video quality were not quite up to snuff.

Their H264 playback functionality goes back to at least 2011 with their first APU (Llano), with 4K HEVC and 10 bit support going back to 2016 with their Stoney Ridge/Brown Falcon APUs, so in theory, if all you care about is 4k H264/265 playback, even a t630 thin client (probably worth less than 50 bucks on evilBay stateside) will run just fine.

Last edited:

Pinky

Mar 27, 2023
I failed to find if GTR6 *actually* works with ECC ram, preferably 2x 32G sticks. Anyone tried ?

On amd.com says: "ECC Support: Yes (Requires platform support)".