Bay trail tablet as a small low powered server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Have seen some deals happening lately on the bay trail tablets like the Dell venue pro or lenovo miix 2 and got to thinking that they might make a decent small low powered server for something like a backup AD controller or similar. Has anyone here tried this yet?

They have similar specs to the ECS Liva that some of you have been playing around with. Normally specs are
Quad core bay trail
32 or 64gb eMMC drive
2gb ram
Powered via USB
Since they have a battery you would get a built in UPS which would normally be good for a few hours runtime

Downside I see is that they don't have much in the way of networking support other than wireless though you could set them up with a USB wired nic

Seeing the price as low as $150 Canadian for refurbs in store and sometimes for less on used units.

Thoughts?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
15 years ago I ran a campus counterstrike server off of a Pentium 3 laptop (wired connection though.)

We lost power in the California energy crisis but the server stayed up.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Ya that is deff something to consider especially since that would give me an excuse to upgrade my thinkpad 8 with whatever new is coming out lol

Would not want to go less than the 128gb I have currently with a new one. Would also be nice to get one that has 4gb ram

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
black friday has the asus 11.6 inch for $99 ...forgot which store has it though.