Basic pfSense Interface & Addressing Issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Puffhead

Jan 20, 2019
Hi guys! Quick configuration question that I'll bet one of you can solve in a snap.

I've got an R710 I'm looking to install pfsense on via virtualbox on an ubuntu 18.04 base.

My cables are connected in the following configuration:
I have my modem from my ISP connected to the first of four Ethernet ports, then a connection from the r710 to my wireless router in the first LAN port (IP: 192.168.1.2, with a default gateway of 192.168.1.1), which is acting as a WiFi access point. The Guide I've followed for config settings is here: Configuring a second router as a WiFi access point using Tomato by Shibby - Stephen Ostermiller

Settings in virtualbox have been copied from here:
How to Install pfSense in VirtualBox • Samurai Hacks

Then I have my main windows 10 desktop connected directly to the third Ethernet port on the r710.

When this is configured this way, I'm unable to access 192.168.1.1, the static IP of the pfsense installation from my main workstation, which makes... no sense to me. When I'm hardwired in to the wifi router/access point, and I go to 192.168.1.2, I can access the router.

One thing I've noticed, is I'm also not getting a WAN IP address showing after I assign the interfaces. em0 as the wan, em1 as the LAN. The LAN IP shows as 192.168.1.1, and the WAN IP is blank, there isn't one.

Any pointers would be welcomed, thanks in advance!

m3xiz

Jan 21, 2019
I imagine that the modem from your isp has also some ip addresses and is not configured in bridge mode. If my assumption is correct, check that you do not have the same range of ip used in different segments of your network.

gslavov

Jun 7, 2017
My guess is that you have mapped the first two ports to the pfSense VM as WAN/LAN segments however the remaining ports are left on the host and therefore cannot access the 192.168.1.0 network. What you are trying to do it use ports 2 and 3 as switchports and for that you need to bridge them either on the host before passing them to pfSense or on pfSense itself.