Basic LSI/IBM card, how do I know when drive fails?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
This might sound like a stupid question, but I never used raid controllers and need to know :)

So, I will get this card for $100.. I will have RAID1 with 2 disks. And I will run ESXi on this box. One drive failed. How do I know that it did? And how do I know which one?

I guess fixing it - just power off, replace drive and power on, right?

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
This might sound like a stupid question, but I never used raid controllers and need to know :)

So, I will get this card for $100.. I will have RAID1 with 2 disks. And I will run ESXi on this box. One drive failed. How do I know that it did? And how do I know which one?

I guess fixing it - just power off, replace drive and power on, right?
What make and model are you talking about?

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Couple things to think about with these, Dell/IBM version is often missing certain advanced RAID features such as RAID 50/60. Since you're just doing RAID1, why not just get a IR HBA and save some $. You can get a Dell H200, LSI 9211 clone for about $50-60 shipped on eBay and that has 8 ports vs 4 for the 9260-4i you're looking at

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Megaraid controllers are more stable under ESXi thank IR controllers. Just my experience. Even running them without battery, cache bypassed for SSD. IR LSI controllers freak out now and then!

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Megaraid controllers are more stable under ESXi thank IR controllers. Just my experience. Even running them without battery, cache bypassed for SSD. IR LSI controllers freak out now and then!
Interesting, good to know :) Is that just natively in ESXi for VM stores or VT-d as well?

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Great! But how do I know when drive fails :)

Also, if it's 4 channel card, can I use it to add another pair of drives? Another RAID1?

So, I can start with a pair and let's say we need more storage. Can we add another 2 drives and create another RAID1 Or this card supports one raid only?

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
They support multiple raids, usually 2 to 64 raids per controller.

You install the SMI-S provider which throws alerts to vcenter when hardware status changes to poor!

katit

Mar 18, 2015
vCenter costing money :) I'm planning on free ESXi.. Is there something in controller's bios? Like I read that INTEL card (which won't work for me and expensive now that I learn about megaraid) will beep.

Something like that maybe? Light, beep?

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
vCenter costing money :) I'm planning on free ESXi.. Is there something in controller's bios? Like I read that INTEL card (which won't work for me and expensive now that I learn about megaraid) will beep.

Something like that maybe? Light, beep?
That's why VT-d works for this, you can pass the controller to the storage management VM and manage it with the software provided by the manufacturer.
Keep in mind you're starting to go down the enterprise hardware/software path, while the features are great they will start costing $. I've been down the road you're walking, repurposing existing consumer hardware and while I was able to get stuff to work most of the time, there were definitely a lot of hacking/research/near miss disasters that I don't think is worth it anymore, just my opinion

katit

Mar 18, 2015
repurposing existing consumer hardware and while I was able to get stuff to work most of the time, there were definitely a lot of hacking/research/near miss disasters that I don't think is worth it anymore, just my opinion
I agree with your opinion, but I don't think we need it. What I'm thinking about doing is nice to have, currently we do without.
For my important data I have windows at home with WD blacks in software RAID1. Daily backup to USB drive and important files on Carbonite. Thats it. Works for 4+ years now..

Just trying to be reasonable. I don't want to pay for vCenter in order to get email notification :) To me it's not worth it and it actually makes it too complex.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Btw, I didn't get card yet. But I did study manual. There is one LED jumper that shows failure (any failure) and another connector with pins for each channel failure. So, I can pretty easy put LED out to front panel and since I sit next to the box - it will be good enough

Now I wonder how to test it. If I unplug power to 1 drive while running, should it detect failure?

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
Now I wonder how to test it. If I unplug power to 1 drive while running, should it detect failure?
Not sure what drives are you using, but I do not think standard sata power-port is capable of "hot-plug". You might generate a power-peak high enough to bring your server down...

If you want to test it, install storcli/megacli on ESXi, and use it to mark some drive as failed/missing. MSM should then detect it.

But honestly, this way of raid-monitoring seems to me to be quite difficult. And what's worse, depending on VM running, MSM, network, etc. You could monitor raid-controller with storcli/megacli, cron, and a little scripting (i.e. fire storcli every "x" minutes from cron, check arrays, if some failed/missing disk or degraded array found, send email). This could be accomplished directly on ESXi, without any other dependency...

katit

Mar 18, 2015
I think you confusing matters. I found that I can connect LED directly to controller. This is 100% acceptable for me as I see server in front of me and red LED will tell me all I need. I just wanted to see how I can test it. I don't need any software solutions if it will work at controller-level.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Sata is hot pluggable, for sure, but whether you want to do that to your drive/ssd is up to you!

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Ok, well. If I power down, disconnect one driver and power up. It should work but report error, right? (RAID1)