basic 10gb setup for two PC's

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

donedeal19

Jul 10, 2013
I'm not understanding how to flash, I have everything but can't figure out step 6. . "From the prompt, enter the command mlxburn.exe -dev <PCI ID> -fw <firmware file path>". I have the two file in the folder on my desktop but can't see it. Not sure how to put that in cmd prompt. How do you navigate to firmware file path? The error i'm getting is -E FWfile specified (fw-ConnectX2-rel.mlx) not found.
I am stuck at a stand still, any input on where do I put those files or folder?

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I'm not understanding how to flash, I have everything but can't figure out step 6. . "From the prompt, enter the command mlxburn.exe -dev <PCI ID> -fw <firmware file path>". I have the two file in the folder on my desktop but can't see it. Not sure how to put that in cmd prompt. How do you navigate to firmware file path? The error i'm getting is -E FWfile specified (fw-ConnectX2-rel.mlx) not found.
I am stuck at a stand still, any input on where do I put those files or folder?
When running mlxburn.exe -dev <PCI ID> -fw <firmware file path>, you need to enter a full file path to the .mlx file or, even better, just move the .mlx file into the WinMFT file along with the .ini file. With both files moved to the WinMFT folder, you no longer need to worry about file paths.

donedeal19

Jul 10, 2013
What do I need to Type in? as I'm getting the same error with both files in WinMft. I used the same code as described on your site. I just don't understand no matter where I put the file the code won't load the file...

dba

Feb 20, 2012
What do I need to Type in? as I'm getting the same error with both files in WinMft. I used the same code as described on your site. I just don't understand no matter where I put the file the code won't load the file...
What do you see when you type mst status ?

Next, what do you get when you type flint -d <PCI ID> query - of course replacing <PDI ID> with the ID you found above?

What is the name and location of your .ini file?

Post the first 20 lines of the .ini file

What is the name and location of your .mlx file?

I'll pick up the thread in the morning.

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
I know this is offtopic but a personal note for folks:

1. Intel nic's rule - easy to use - no driver b/s - expensive.
2. Emulex BE2/BE3 nic's rule - vcenter plugin, single firmware, 7 and 2008 drivers (many nic's do not have 7 support) - unified driver for two generations (or more). cheap for the older BE2 models. single UEFI flash that can be used in esxi/windows/dos for all components.

3. broadcom - serious PITA avoid! unless you like 5 flash files that take 5-20 minutes to complete or fail.
4. netxen - avoid! driver slipstream design (some o/s use the bios from the driver not the firmware)
5. qlogic - not so bad but netxen avoid! 8152 runs only at x4 pci-e 2.0
6. brocade - requires brocade sfp/active dac - avoid!

DBA: Would you care to suggest which Mellanox cards are best suited for ease of us and cross operating system (drivers)? I'd love to try some but don't want to step into a windows 7/2012/esxi 5.1 firmware/driver mess.

Need esxi 5.1 support mainly. (including flashing,configuring)

dba

Feb 20, 2012
I know this is offtopic but a personal note for folks:

1. Intel nic's rule - easy to use - no driver b/s - expensive.
2. Emulex BE2/BE3 nic's rule - vcenter plugin, single firmware, 7 and 2008 drivers (many nic's do not have 7 support) - unified driver for two generations (or more). cheap for the older BE2 models. single UEFI flash that can be used in esxi/windows/dos for all components.

3. broadcom - serious PITA avoid! unless you like 5 flash files that take 5-20 minutes to complete or fail.
4. netxen - avoid! driver slipstream design (some o/s use the bios from the driver not the firmware)
5. qlogic - not so bad but netxen avoid! 8152 runs only at x4 pci-e 2.0
6. brocade - requires brocade sfp/active dac - avoid!

DBA: Would you care to suggest which Mellanox cards are best suited for ease of us and cross operating system (drivers)? I'd love to try some but don't want to step into a windows 7/2012/esxi 5.1 firmware/driver mess.

Need esxi 5.1 support mainly. (including flashing,configuring)
For 10GbE cards, I agree that Intel is an excellent choice, price aside. If price is an issue, I like the eBay $65-100 Mellanox VPI cards placed into 10GbE mode. My favorite, however, remains 40Gbit Infiniband: cheap, dramatically faster than 10GbE and, with IPoIB plus RDMA and a switch with a built-in subnet manager, very easy. I do admit, however, that I have not yet dived into the deep details of virtual networking with any of these cards; So far I'm getting more Hyper-V networking performance than I need with just the basic settings and I don't do that much with esxi, if only for pricing reasons.

To partially answer your other question mrkrad: The Mellanox landscape is quite easy. All ConnectX-2 and ConnectX-3 VPI cards have been flawless in my testing on Windows, Hyper-V and Solaris. The caveat is that I have not tried esxi using these cards.
Mellanox has a unified driver for all cards, just like LSI, so driver installs are easy. If you are on Linux/Unix then the installers will happily update the firmware during the driver install, which is nice, but on Windows, at least with the ConnectX-2 cards, you'll likely need to update the firmware yourself. All OEM cards require that the OEM release their own firmware update - or you can do it for them. I can't blame Mellanox for not providing OEM installers, but one might speculate that the ConnectX-2 Windows firmware troubles are a way to encouraging users to buy the newer ConnectX-3 cards.

We've covered it before, but it bears repeating: The fast+cheap networking deal of the century are the Mellanox ConnectX-2 VPI cards. Buy one on eBay for around $100 (sometimes much less for a DDR card), build yourself some custom firmware to get RDMA, and then enjoy up to 32Gbit IP over IB with up to 3,200MB/s SMB3 transfer speeds and 250K IOPS. If you have a small number of machines, you may even be able to enjoy these speeds without the cost of an IB switch by using a point-to-point architecture - which of course is exactly what the original author of this topic is trying to do. He asked for help with 10GbE but I proposed IPoIB instead and he's giving it a try. If he ever wants to switch to 10GbE, he has VPI cards so it's just a software switch-over.

Last edited:

donedeal19

Jul 10, 2013
1. mt26428_pci_cr0 query
2. MT_0D90110009
3.MHQH19B-XTR_A1-A3 WinMTF
4.;; Generated automatically by iniprep tool on Mon May 07 15:39:40 IDT 2012 from ./b0_falcon_one_port.prs
;;
;; PRS FILE FOR Eagle
;; $Id: b0_falcon_one_port.prs,v 1.18 2011-02-14 11:47:28 achiad Exp $

[PS_INFO]
Name = MHQH19B-XTR_A1-A3
Description = ConnectX-2 VPI adapter card; single-port 40Gb/s QSFP; PCIe2.0 x8 5.0GT/s; tall bracket; RoHS R6

[ADAPTER]
PSID = MT_0D90110009
pcie_gen2_speed_supported = true
adapter_dev_id = 0x673c
silicon_rev = 0xb0

gpio_mode1 = 0x0
gpio_mode0 = 0x058e470f
gpio_default_val = 0x0082010f

[HCA]
hca_header_device_id = 0x673c
hca_header_subsystem_id = 0x0022
dpdp_en = true
eth_xfi_en = true
mdio_en_port1 = 0
[IB]
phy_type_port1 = XFI
phy_type_port2 = XFI

num_of_ports = One_Port
qsfp_pwr_en_new_gpio = true
read_cable_params_port1_en = true

;;Polarity
eth_tx_lane_polarity_port1=0x0
eth_tx_lane_polarity_port2=0x0
eth_rx_lane_polarity_port1=0x0
eth_rx_lane_polarity_port2=0xD

;;Lane reversal
eth_tx_lane_reversal_port1=on
eth_tx_lane_reversal_port2=on
eth_rx_lane_reversal_port1=on
eth_rx_lane_reversal_port2=on
port1_sd0_muxmain_qdr = 0x1f
port2_sd0_muxmain_qdr = 0x1f
port1_sd1_muxmain_qdr = 0x1f
port2_sd1_muxmain_qdr = 0x1f
port1_sd2_muxmain_qdr = 0x1f
port2_sd2_muxmain_qdr = 0x1f
port1_sd3_muxmain_qdr = 0x1f
port2_sd3_muxmain_qdr = 0x1f
mellanox_qdr_ib_support = true
mellanox_ddr_ib_support = true

5.fw-ConnectX2-rel.mlx.

Just got home long day. Still no progress just yet but The only thing I have not tried is changing the ini file name. The error "-E- FW file specified not found" in cmd is confusing. Not used to dos commands.
I did follow the guide but when it comes to step number 5 I get lost. I thought all I need is Mellanox mlx and ini file which I extracted. So I move on to step number 6 and 7. So the guide is pretty correct when it comes to inputting everything. Just not taking my commands. Any input?

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
1. mt26428_pci_cr0 query
2. MT_0D90110009
3.MHQH19B-XTR_A1-A3 WinMTF
4.;; Generated automatically by iniprep tool on Mon May 07 15:39:40 IDT 2012 from ./b0_falcon_one_port.prs
;;
;; PRS FILE FOR Eagle

[PS_INFO]
Name = MHQH19B-XTR_A1-A3
Description = ConnectX-2 VPI adapter card; single-port 40Gb/s QSFP; PCIe2.0 x8 5.0GT/s; tall bracket; RoHS R6

[ADAPTER]
PSID = MT_0D90110009
pcie_gen2_speed_supported = true
adapter_dev_id = 0x673c
silicon_rev = 0xb0

gpio_mode1 = 0x0
gpio_mode0 = 0x058e470f
gpio_default_val = 0x0082010f

The first thing that I notice is in your .ini file. You changed PSID to match your card ID, but you didn't change the name attribute under the ps_info section. Look under [PS_INFO] and change Name = MHQH19B-XTR_A1-A3 to Name = MT_0D90110009

The second thing that I notice is that the name of your .ini file is incorrect. Rename the file to MT_0D90110009.ini

With those two items fixed, place the .ini file and your .mlx firmware file into C:/Program Files/Mellanox/WinMFT (or wherever you installed WinMFT) and then try again. The .ini file name must match the PSID which must match the PS_INFO name attribute.

Last edited:

donedeal19

Jul 10, 2013
Installed W2012 card updated to 2.9.12 auto, but still not there. No luck at all, change of the name of ini file and changed the name in the ini file. "You changed PSID to match your card ID, but you didn't change the name attribute under the ps_info section". That is how the ini file came when extracted from driver file 4.40.

;; Generated automatically by iniprep tool on Mon May 07 15:39:40 IDT 2012 from ./b0_falcon_one_port.prs
;;
;; PRS FILE FOR Eagle

[PS_INFO]
Name = MT_0D90110009
Description = ConnectX-2 VPI adapter card; single-port 40Gb/s QSFP; PCIe2.0 x8 5.0GT/s;

Where do I get the server 2012 4.2 driver from? Never mind i'm on 4.440 driver not sure why it did not update to 2.10.72 firmware. Getting there thanks for the help.

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
So if you have a properly named and edited file (MT_0D90110009.ini), and the 2.10.720 firmware .mlx file downloaded from my article, run the firmware update command - after moving both files to the WinMFT folder as I mentioned - and let me know what you get. After the firmware is updated, you can work on drivers.

Installed W2012 card updated to 2.9.12 auto, but still not there. No luck at all, change of the name of ini file and changed the name in the ini file. "You changed PSID to match your card ID, but you didn't change the name attribute under the ps_info section". That is how the ini file came when extracted from driver file 4.40.

;; Generated automatically by iniprep tool on Mon May 07 15:39:40 IDT 2012 from ./b0_falcon_one_port.prs
;;
;; PRS FILE FOR Eagle

[PS_INFO]
Name = MT_0D90110009
Description = ConnectX-2 VPI adapter card; single-port 40Gb/s QSFP; PCIe2.0 x8 5.0GT/s;

Where do I get the server 2012 4.2 driver from? Never mind i'm on 4.440 driver not sure why it did not update to 2.10.72 firmware. Getting there thanks for the help.

Last edited:

donedeal19

Jul 10, 2013
I even downloaded your ini file to make sure it look the same and no dice. Yes the file is in C:/Program Files/Mellanox/WinMFT. Is it how windows show the ini file as config settings? Other than that I copy paste the same command mlxburn.exe -dev mt26428_pci_cr0 -fw fw-ConnectX2-rel.mlx to only get -E FWfile specified (fw-ConnectX2-rel.mlx) not found. "
By the way, the number 26428 in the result is the Device ID (a product identifier) for the Dell mezzanine card, do that have thing to do with it maybe.. just throwing stuff out there.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
Can you confirm that both MT_0D90110009.ini and fw-ConnectX2-rel.mlx are in the WinMFT folder? How about a screen shot of a dir listing of the folder. Run this from within the WinMFT folder: dir *.ini *.mlx

If things look OK and yet still don't work, PM me your email address and I'll send you the files that I used to flash those exact cards. Actually, if they don't work, take a screenshot of the results of the mlxburn run.

26428 is the ID of a particular Mellanox chip, the one used in the entire series of ConnectX-2 QDR cards. 25418, by way of comparison, is the chip in the DDR cards.

I even downloaded your ini file to make sure it look the same and no dice. Yes the file is in C:/Program Files/Mellanox/WinMFT. Is it how windows show the ini file as config settings? Other than that I copy paste the same command mlxburn.exe -dev mt26428_pci_cr0 -fw fw-ConnectX2-rel.mlx to only get -E FWfile specified (fw-ConnectX2-rel.mlx) not found. "
By the way, the number 26428 in the result is the Device ID (a product identifier) for the Dell mezzanine card, do that have thing to do with it maybe.. just throwing stuff out there.

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
We've covered it before, but it bears repeating: The fast+cheap networking deal of the century are the Mellanox ConnectX-2 VPI cards. Buy one on eBay for around $100 (sometimes much less for a DDR card), build yourself some custom firmware to get RDMA, and then enjoy up to 32Gbit IP over IB with up to 3,200MB/s SMB3 transfer speeds and 250K IOPS. If you have a small number of machines, you may even be able to enjoy these speeds without the cost of an IB switch by using a point-to-point architecture - which of course is exactly what the original author of this topic is trying to do. He asked for help with 10GbE but I proposed IPoIB instead and he's giving it a try. If he ever wants to switch to 10GbE, he has VPI cards so it's just a software switch-over.
nice! You know what they need to do is a breakout so you can do 4 x 10gbe from a 40gbe card.

Thanks! I might give these a shot for point to point connection. That works right?

I am thinking about building a openvswitch and having a pair of 32gbe/40gbe for a core of 10gbe makes a lot of sense

the newer features that I find cool:

Solarflare - linux only - 2048 virtual nic's (dual port) - great for webhosters who want to accelerate their hosting and let the card handle loopback (esxi vswitch only sends data out, it cannot loopback)

Most recent SR-IOV cards - 4 VF's (compared to 2048) - with 1 VF for fcoe/iscsi - Vn2Vn is coming soon - you will see fcoe targets working. Having virtual functions let the asic on the nic handle vswitch filtering and lets you carve up the 10gbe or 40gbe into smaller chunks.

Data Center Bridging: Just a buch of QOS standards to ensure your iscsi or fcoe gets from A to B without packet loss.

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
Point to point works very well - and talk about low latency! You just need a software subnet manager, which is part of the LSI driver install. If you do build a mega vswitch, post about it - sounds very interesting.

nice! You know what they need to do is a breakout so you can do 4 x 10gbe from a 40gbe card.

Thanks! I might give these a shot for point to point connection. That works right?

I am thinking about building a openvswitch and having a pair of 32gbe/40gbe for a core of 10gbe makes a lot of sense

the newer features that I find cool:

Solarflare - linux only - 2048 virtual nic's (dual port) - great for webhosters who want to accelerate their hosting and let the card handle loopback (esxi vswitch only sends data out, it cannot loopback)

Most recent SR-IOV cards - 4 VF's (compared to 2048) - with 1 VF for fcoe/iscsi - Vn2Vn is coming soon - you will see fcoe targets working. Having virtual functions let the asic on the nic handle vswitch filtering and lets you carve up the 10gbe or 40gbe into smaller chunks.

Data Center Bridging: Just a buch of QOS standards to ensure your iscsi or fcoe gets from A to B without packet loss.

donedeal19

Jul 10, 2013
I did not know how to use the dos prompts, so basically I just learn dos the hard way. Just entering alot of commands for a few hours. I figured out how get into WINMFT folder using dos commands. Which I installed the new firmware successfully. The guide did say it but because I never use dos it became tricky. Thanks guys for putting up with the questions.

Just waiting on the second card to arrive to do some tests. It should be here sometime next week.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
you just use unetbootin and it downloads and creates a freedos usb stick. then throw firmware in the directory and go to town. works great.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Point to point works very well - and talk about low latency! You just need a software subnet manager, which is part of the LSI driver install. If you do build a mega vswitch, post about it - sounds very interesting.
So like I hate you guys, I just went and grabbed a pair of cheap dual port 40Gb cards to try out. Someone has 30m fiber cables for pretty cheap too.

I also saw some 36 port QDR switches for $2k...I don't get it, why is this stuff cheaper than 10Gbe? Sure cat6 cable is cheap but the nics and switches are insane.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
Welcome to the dark side!

With some patience, you can snag a Mellanox QDR switch for $900-$1,100 on eBay**. A DDR switch costs less than half of that, and is still faster than 10GbE.

** Try $850 or 900 on this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mellanox-Gr...14?pt=US_Network_Switches&hash=item3cd221d35a

So like I hate you guys, I just went and grabbed a pair of cheap dual port 40Gb cards to try out. Someone has 30m fiber cables for pretty cheap too.

I also saw some 36 port QDR switches for $2k...I don't get it, why is this stuff cheaper than 10Gbe? Sure cat6 cable is cheap but the nics and switches are insane.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Welcome to the dark side!

With some patience, you can snag a Mellanox QDR switch for $900-$1,100 on eBay**. A DDR switch costs less than half of that, and is still faster than 10GbE.

** Try $850 or 900 on this one: Mellanox Grid Director 4036 Voltaire VLT 30111 36 Port 40GBPS Inifiniband Switch | eBay
Yeah I haggled down a bit with the make an offer option...stop showing me cheap stuff please, I want to buy a jeep soon.

For the price of a single intel x540, I got two nics and 100 feet of fiber with 4x the bandwidth.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Got my cards today, turns out I actually bought connect X QDR cards, not X-2 so no RDMA or whatever firmware for me. Took me a couple head banging keyboard attempts to flash the firmware before I realized none of the device ids matched what I downloaded... /facepalm

I don't really care though, just looking for something better so the bottleneck widens and my drives are the limit again.
From a board layout perspective its a lot easier for me to put the cards in the x4 pci-e slots anyways, all I wanted was "way faster than gigabit" while staying "cheaper than 10GbE" this should fit the bill.

Cable comes tomorrow, then its speed testin' time! Pretty sure my platter+ssd zfs combo won't break 1GB/s though.