Bash scripting help - compile kernel

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I hate to do this, but I am trying to figure out how to bypass the make menuconfig manual entry before running the Linux compile.

upload_2016-2-24_11-5-51.png

I am trying to add this to our Linux benchmarking but it would be helpful if I could bypass this step and have the .configure file made via defaults. I have pretty much everything else scripted at this point and have begun profiling boxes.

If anyone has ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
BTW if anyone wants a starting point (not fancy yet):

Code:
#!/bin/bash

mkdir kernel
cd kernel

wget https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.4.2.tar.xz

tar xf linux-4.4.2.tar.xz

sudo apt-get install -y git fakeroot build-essential ncurses-dev xz-utils libssl-dev bc
cd /home/ubuntu/kernel/linux-4.4.2
make menuconfig
time make -j16
Notes with the above:
  • Directory structure assumes Ubuntu LiveCD.
  • The -j16 should have the 16 replaced by number of threads in the system.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Take a look at the top level README for various configuration options, like make defconfig.

Not only do I remember configuring the kernel before menuconfig was written, I remember when it fit on a 5.25 floppy. Man, has it gotten big.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@mstone and @TuxDude do you know if defconfig is equivalent to going to menuconfig and just doing save?

I just ran it on two machines and they ran the compile in about 1/7th the time as when I used menuconfig and just saved.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Can make the final 'make' command automatically use the right number of threads as well, replace the final line with:

time make -j`grep --count ^processor /proc/cpuinfo`

And I'm afraid I'm not sure what menuconfig will spit out if you just open it and hit save - a quick look at the documentation does not describe what that would do. Doc's do say that defconfig will use the default options for the current architecture.

Edit: Why not compare the two configs?

rm .config
make defconfig
mv .config config.defconfig
make menuconfig
<save and exit>
diff -u config.defconfig .config

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea that makes sense. For the thread count in the current version I was just using numcpu which was a bit easier. In the main L-B script we have the variable already defined.

It seems like the differences are quite large.

Maybe I just save the .config file I want and download it.

Attachments

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Did you do a make clean in between runs? it'll be a lot quicker if it doesn't have to do much. For your purposes I'd think a make allmodconfig would be ideal. But if you want to just use a standard .config then make olddefconfig would work.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Ya - just saving a copy of the .config the way you want it makes things easy. That would also make it very easy if you want to copy the config from an ubuntu kernel, or a redhat one, etc. Or you can try some of the other configuration commands, as @mstone mentioned in his post. Maybe 'make allmodconfig' (I see in the diff you attached a LOT of the changes are configuring modules), or if you just want a long repeatable compile, maybe 'make allyesconfig'

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am going to try make allyesconfig but I think just saving a standard config is a cleaner option.

@mstone I am doing this on a LiveCD so just rebooting so I can get a consistent baseline.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ok I have that down to something that is consistent off the Ubuntu LiveCD now.

sean

Sep 26, 2013
CT
You could also build the config the running kernel is using. Going off memory, the running config, assuming you haven't done major package updates, is at /boot/config-$(uname -r). Copy that to to .config in the source directory and run make oldconfig.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
You could also build the config the running kernel is using. Going off memory, the running config, assuming you haven't done major package updates, is at /boot/config-$(uname -r). Copy that to to .config in the source directory and run make oldconfig.
@sean that is a great idea. I ended up just saving a .config and use wget. That way it at least stays consistent as people use different versions. Likely will keep the work done today unless there is a big reason not to.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Your scripts are ugly IMO.
Sometimes "functional" is good enough.

I did start a python version of this yesterday that even iterates and will run multiple times (without repeating the download.)

Being a python neophyte I did not realize that raw_input() + a curl scriptURL | python was a recipe for disaster. Unlike with bash, you need to python <(curl scriptURL) if you have user input in the script.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Sure:

Code:
python <(curl http://files.linux-bench.com/lb/PyKCB.py)
I still need to figure out how to parse the result of each "time make" function.