Backup solution to backup VMs in ESXi 6.5 to Backblaze B2?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JohnnyBeGood

Oct 10, 2015
Hello,

My ISP has a data cap so I had to rent server and they have ESXi 6.5 and I have 4 VMs mostly for testing and 1 that is hosting 1 website and community forum. I would like to setup backup just in case something goes wrong I can restore and Backblaze B2 offers the most affordable solution $0.005/GByte/Month (half of one penny).

In my research I found that Vertical Backup has integrated option but since the server is out of my home it would not be considered Personal License but Commercial because they would think I'm running a business.

My question is are there any other options out there? I came across another one XSIBackup @ $115 for what it seems a one time fee and its out of what I was planning to spend but it does not mention anything about Backblaze B2.

TIA

vrod

Jan 18, 2015
Is it ESXi-free? If so, you have pretty limited capabilities as the storage api’s aren’t unlocked. Only with a purchased license, they would be unlocked. This means you can pretty much only do full backups, not incremental ones. In this case, you could use ghettoVCB. I have used it in the past and it actually works pretty well. You would, however need to mount the external storage as a nfs storage in the ESXi-system

JohnnyBeGood

Oct 10, 2015
Is it ESXi-free? If so, you have pretty limited capabilities as the storage api’s aren’t unlocked. Only with a purchased license, they would be unlocked. This means you can pretty much only do full backups, not incremental ones. In this case, you could use ghettoVCB. I have used it in the past and it actually works pretty well. You would, however need to mount the external storage as a nfs storage in the ESXi-system
Yes, its ESXi-free. I will look into ghettoVCB. So that means Backblaze needs to be mounted as nfs storage which I don't think its possible. Maybe I missed something in my search?

vrod

Jan 18, 2015
If you want to utilize backup through ESXi, the host will need to be able to talk to some sort of storage. It could be local disks, iscsi drives or nfs shares. Unless backblaze have some sort of plugin for ESXi; I doubt you can do much to make it work if the beforementioned options are not available.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Have you asked them whether this might qualify for 'Personal license' ?
Just might need to explain the situation to them...

JohnnyBeGood

Oct 10, 2015
If you want to utilize backup through ESXi, the host will need to be able to talk to some sort of storage. It could be local disks, iscsi drives or nfs shares. Unless backblaze have some sort of plugin for ESXi; I doubt you can do much to make it work if the beforementioned options are not available.
They have different various applications that can connect to B2 Cloud Storage - Integrations
but only one that directly works with ESXi is Vertical Backup.

vrod

Jan 18, 2015
They have different various applications that can connect to B2 Cloud Storage - Integrations
but only one that directly works with ESXi is Vertical Backup.
I can imagine that the Vertical backup relies on the Storage API’s, so you would most likely need a license. The essentials pack costs somewhere around 600$. I know however, that’s not the price that everyone wants to pay.

JohnnyBeGood

Oct 10, 2015
I can imagine that the Vertical backup relies on the Storage API’s, so you would most likely need a license. The essentials pack costs somewhere around 600$. I know however, that’s not the price that everyone wants to pay.
Vertical Backup defiantly use API because I had small issue today and it was throwing an error and referring to api.backblazeb2.com
I totally agree with you and I'm one of those people
who will not pay for $600+ annual license.

I could understand if I would be a business and making money off of it but I'm not and that is ridiculous pricing. The max I could see my self paying is $20 for a year.