AWS backup solution suggestion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mobycl1ck

Feb 20, 2022
Hello fellow forum dwelers.
I need a backup software solution able to fit the following criteria:
WebGUI
Server-client for all major SO, including AWS
Integration with LDAP, if possible.
And price, if it is free, all the better.

What i tried:
Managed to install Bacula on a Debian server, then installed Bacularis on top of that. It works, even with LDAP, but the AWS plugin is reserved for Bacula Enterprise.
Nakivo, works and looks good, but it is not free.
URbackup, but lacks LDAP and AWS is not native to the software

Any suggestions?

mobycl1ck

Feb 20, 2022
After a few searches and tries, I found Duplicati as a ready to deploy and use solution to back up directly to AWS or S3 compatible storage. However, is it reliable? Anyone uses it in production?

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
I use duplicati for my home lab to offisite. I originally used a PI with Minio(S3 clone) as the backend, but now I'm instead using a w10 pc and either filezilla or SCP for the backend. has been generally reliable, saved my butt a few times, and generally works.
For duplicati, there is a dupreport python script to generate summary emails.

Reactions: mobycl1ck

mobycl1ck

Feb 20, 2022
Tried to backup and upload the backup data to a EC2 instance, but the Duplicati gave en non descript error. Altough it validated the connection to the S3 storage, it was stuck on : Uploading the backup data.Then it just run without completing the tasks. Not a good start.
uRBack seems simple and Linux friendly.

vanfront

Jun 5, 2020
Not sure what you want to backup. To automate a regular backup upload to S3 / Glacier, you could script FastGlacier or S3 Browser as a DIY solution. Not free, but reasonably cheap.

If Azure were an option, Microsoft has the MS Azure Backup Server (MABS). But it needs quite some local storage. I am looking into MABS now for my VM backup. For files backup, having a file system synced to Azure and then schedule a backup job in Azure is also an option. The sync feature works really nicely.

mobycl1ck

Feb 20, 2022
Guys, I need some guidance.
Tried Bacula, it's a cumbersome server to install, configure and a lot of issues relted to binaries, diferent versions, in short, I am stuck.
Some searches pointed to Amanda, but ony CLI anf GUI reserved for Enterprise Edition. Not feasible.
What backup solution do you guys use for backing up physical Linux servers?
As in bare metal recovery, or files/directory restore?

louie1961

May 15, 2023
Why no CLI? Rsync is dead simple to use. Maybe you could use it with Grsync, a graphical interface for Rsync. Clonezilla comes to mind too.