"Auxiliary Hard-drive LED Connector" on PERC 6/i

Do the 2 wires go on the side of SAS connector 1(black) or 0(white)?

• 1(black)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0(white)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

imWACC0

Jun 18, 2022
Ohio, USA
I'm 99% of the way to power up, on a replacement, but I have one cable to to attach... J6 "Auxiliary Hard-drive LED Connector" (AUX_LED).

The problem is that it has 2 wires out of 4, and can fit either way. Do the 2 wires go on the side of SAS connector 1(black) or 0(white)?

If I put it in the wrong way, it's a one-way-open-short (diode) across the other two pins.

What are the other two pins for? I can't find any man that tells me, or any info on J6

<$signature>

Last edited:

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I'm 99% of the way to power up, on a replacement, but I have one cable to to attach... J6 "Auxiliary Hard-drive LED Connector" (AUX_LED).

The problem is that it has 2 wires out of 4, and can fit either way. Do the 2 wires go on the side of SAS connector 1(black) or 0(white)?
It will work either way. The 2 outermost pins are connected together as are the 2 innermost pins. Some Dell LED cables (for example, the U872G for the R410) have a "Creative Labs" latching type connector (like the audio on antique CD-ROM drives) which will only physically fit one way, because the latch will hit the PC board if you put in "upside down". But that is purely mechanical - electrically it works either way.
If I put it in the wrong way, it's a one-way-open-short (diode) across the other two pins.
If you're really concerned, get a 2-pin bicolor LED - one way you get green, the other way you get red.
What are the other two pins for? I can't find any man that tells me, or any info on J6
Dell won't tell you as they don't publish that level of information. (It might be in DCSE Server Foundations since it is such an old card, but it isn't worth checking due to the above explanation.)