ATX PSU recommendation to replace a Corsair HX1050

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lpallard

Aug 17, 2013
Hello,

The corsair HX1050 that is currently powering my Proxmox node started to make a strange noise recently, kinda like ball bearings clicking. Getting my ears closer to the PSU it could also sound like arcing but I cannot see anything inside of the PSU case... I attached a recording of this noise.

I need to replace that ASAP. Problem is I would like to replace this by a Supermicro chassis with Supermicro power modules but I am currently on a budget and will have the necessary funds in 6 months or so.. I only need to find a reliable PSU for the moment.

This server runs:
  • a Supermicro H8DCL-iF dual socket motherboard
  • 2x Opteron 4334
  • 64GB DDR3 RAM
  • 1x IBM M5016 RAID controller
  • 4x IBM Ultrastar SAS hard drives.
Power consumption is, according to my UPS, around 280W (peak around 390W)

I have a brand new EVGA BR500 PSU that I bought for a desktop machine but didnt get to use yet, and I'm wondering if it could be OK for a few months (max 1year)...?

Would you thrust this EVGA PSU, and if not, what ATX PSU would you recommend?

Attachments

Last edited:

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
I have experience with EVGAs nicer PSUs. They are very high quality and usually come with 10 year warranties. You have a lower end model.

It looks like it doesn't have the dual 8-pin CPU power connectors you need.

DO NOT use the pcie 6+2 pin connectors. They are not interchangeable.

lpallard

Aug 17, 2013
Well, I bit the bullet and purchased a Supermicro 2U chassis on ebay with redundant 760W power modules.

I'm moving soon, and next house will have a small server room, so noise will no longer be an issue...

Reactions: JediAcolyte

lpallard

Aug 17, 2013
Thanks! I think this chassis will be better reliability wise and will allow to replace the norco case this server currently use... Nice case but the hotswap caddies will be nice to hotswap as well...

For the house, its a bit more money than I envisioned a while ago but ... oh well, I needed some fresh air ;)

Reactions: JediAcolyte