@%@%*()@%()@ AT&T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
My AT&T circuit started having issues in December/15 and has been up/down since then at-least once a week most of it short down time with max around 8 hours.

After 5+ tickets ATT continues to tell me "we fixed it" yet it's just their automated system checking and then clearing automatically.

I finally got a tech out on Monday and he said someone last Friday, likely a line-repair tech did something to the lines someplace and also erased the logs (he showed me his data on his panasonic device) so he only had a couple days worth of data... he spent a good 2 hours going over data on the device, checking the circuit between repeaters, looking for errors in between, etc... found out that it could be between two boxes 5+ mi away but he couldn't do anything more because there were very few errors. He told me it was likely the problem would come back next wind storm, rain storm, etc...

Fast forward to today, and ATT closes the ticket and I'm told:
"They’ve determined the bouncing of your circuit is due to over-utilization."

This goes to my house, I know for a fact it sits idle 60%+ of the time.... of course they suggest "upgrading" the circuit :mad: as-if they have any options for that!!!

Oh, and AT&T also told me they tested from the central office to my location which again the tech told me he came straight out to my location and ONLY tested here. He also did a "final test" which is nothing more than an automated test from their location to look for errors.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to escalate this outside ATT?
These old circuits are government regulated so there has to be someone I can contact to put the squeeze on ATT to do a REAL/physical test from central office to here...

Quasduco

Nov 16, 2015
Tennessee
The problem is, unless you are in a newer town, your phone network looks like a massively tangled fishing net. Even if you DO find someone that gives a rat's behind, to actually get you a clean circuit would cost more than they would be willing to spend...

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
The problem is, unless you are in a newer town, your phone network looks like a massively tangled fishing net. Even if you DO find someone that gives a rat's behind, to actually get you a clean circuit would cost more than they would be willing to spend...
You are right, it's a mess, I don't live in a town I live extremely rural.

It took them 2 weeks to install my circuit because I'm 15 miles from the central office, I watched them connect the pieces as they went along the road underground, etc... someone now needs to go back and find the problem.

We had 1 other major issue in the last 2+ years and it took them almost 6 days to resolve it but they found it, came and told me about it, and it was taken care of. Their support process for person on the ground is TERRIBLE the guy here said he even got the ticket to look into it NUMEROUS times but since it was closed by the time he went to look at it he never did until we forced it by submitting a manual ticket that required a person on-site until it was closed. I've now been told by 2 different techs that the line repair guys routinely delete their data after looking at a line or making changes because they do NOT want to work on repeat problems. It seems a constant struggle between the line-repair and the investigative techs (I don't know their real title) because of this, and it doesn't sound like they get anywhere bitching to management.

I don't think it's asking too much for them to do a physical inspection at each repeater and each junction.

Supposedly they're getting high speed at a school (fiber) so they may be running fiber the 15+ miles over the next 4 months, they ran it "down town" last year... if that's the case I could go that route but now we're talking $700/mo for commercial 10Mb/10Mb which is almost 2x more than I'm paying for my T1... still might be doable to run some of my servers here though...

I hate having no options, but knew that moving here.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Wait, this is a T1 circuit? If so, was there an SLA with it?
Oh, yes, gov. mandated SLA. I've gotten $ off, and in the past entire month for free.

The entire SLA refund takes time, and is a process itself but I'm going for it again for Jan 2016 due to the ~10hrs of down time.