Asymmetric routing with pfsense and L3 switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

slidermike

May 7, 2023
I have been enjoying my refamiliarization with openWRT. 23.05 seems pretty good so far.

I got a working LXC with passed through NICs in proxmox. What I found annoying with the LXC is the restrictions on host resource access (makes sense obviously). Ran into some routing issues I eventually gave up working on yesterday (I had a great weekend experiment with the LXC) with PBR between ovpn, wireguard & WAN.
Wireguard & WAN worked as expected. Due to my vpn provider of choice (proton and their implementation of the tunnel IPs you can only have 1) I had to add an ovpn interface which in itself presented a new (easily overcome) obstacle for a container.

I have accomplished exactly what I setout to do this weekend. Install, configure and stress test an LXC version of openWRT.
Now I am going to do the same thing but instead it will be in the more traditional VM.
Build the VM, passed through hardware, expanded the default partitions & building the configs in preparation for this weekends stress testing.