Asus Z10PE-D16 WS questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Viktor N

Aug 8, 2016
Hi all

I recently received the above mentioned board and have a few questions on making it work (efficiently).
Two to start with:
- boot time to POST screen is a good minute. I don't use SCSI or even LAN boot, or any fancy thing, is there a relatively easy way to speed up boot? (Pauses and waits have been disabled already)
- I'm trying to install windows from USB and I know the USB stick works properly (for this specific task too), yet I can't get the motherboard to recognise it. If I plug it in to the back USB 3 port after a minute or two it recognises the fact that there's an USB in it but no model name etc so I can't use it. If I try to use the USB 2 port it doesn't work because it thinks I'm trying to flash the BIOS.

Any great ideas I should change in the bios or do differently?
Thanks

Viktor

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Should be a boot from USB in the boot order choices in bios.

This is a terrible board I would be happy to take it off your hands for a deep discount....

Possibly my favourite server board of all time. I love SM but she is an expensive mistress. Asus has all the bells and whistles and you can fit the z10pe-d8 into and Eatx chassis

Reactions: pgh5278

William

May 7, 2015
Yes I believe one of the USB ports is setup just for BIOS flashing... I just did it on mine nit long ago bout I cant remember how I did it, would have to look it back up.

This is one of my favorite boards actually, I have been working on getting my workstation that uses this board back up and running which it is now, just need to switch over my stuff to start using it.

These dual socket boards are not fast booter's, so don't try for to long on that aspect of it.

Viktor N

Aug 8, 2016
Should be a boot from USB in the boot order choices in bios.

This is a terrible board I would be happy to take it off your hands for a deep discount....

Possibly my favourite server board of all time. I love SM but she is an expensive mistress. Asus has all the bells and whistles and you can fit the z10pe-d8 into and Eatx chassis
Hm, thnx for the offer but it's possibly more convenient to wait a minute at boot than to sell a new board at deep discount :)

Viktor N

Aug 8, 2016
Yes I believe one of the USB ports is setup just for BIOS flashing... I just did it on mine nit long ago bout I cant remember how I did it, would have to look it back up.

This is one of my favorite boards actually, I have been working on getting my workstation that uses this board back up and running which it is now, just need to switch over my stuff to start using it.

These dual socket boards are not fast booter's, so don't try for to long on that aspect of it.
Thx. I ended up using an SD card in a card reader via USB.
It all works fine now, but for some reason Win10 says there's no sound chip. Sigh. (Any ideas?)
edit: did a bios update, sound now works.

Last edited:
Reactions: William

William

May 7, 2015
Yeah I had mine for a long time that came in a ASUS bare bones workstation. I used it as my main workstation for a while then went to a X99-WS board. Then close to the end of Win 10 free upgrade I decided I should get it back up and running to get free Win 10 on it.

Now that I look I see I have had that setup for over a year now.
ASUS TS700-E8-RS8 Barebones Workstation Review

I still have some upgrades I want to do on it before switching over. CPU's are a pair of my retired E5-2699 V3's. I want to get VMware Workstation Pro 12 running on it also.

Its a nice board but I can't wait for respins on it, if they ever do.

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
Asus has been problematic on v4 capabilities with this board as well as the d8 variant, but it's an absolute dream on v3 chips.

If you want to speed up boot;

Go full uefi and disable completely the CSM in the bios, will drastically cut back on boot time

Reactions: William

Viktor N

Aug 8, 2016
Asus has been problematic on v4 capabilities with this board as well as the d8 variant, but it's an absolute dream on v3 chips.

If you want to speed up boot;

Go full uefi and disable completely the CSM in the bios, will drastically cut back on boot time
Thanks, I'll try that - what consequences will it have if there's no CSM?

biorpg

May 21, 2017
Thanks, I'll try that - what consequences will it have if there's no CSM?
The CSM allows for booting in legacy BIOS mode. Without it, the board will only boot into UEFI mode, but you'll need to make sure all your drives are GPT formatted and that your PCI-E cards all have UEFI firmware.
I find that leaving the CSM enabled and booting only the storage and non-video PCI devices in UEFI mode reduces the boot time quite a bit.
If you notice long delays after the display switches to your discrete GPU during POST, you might have too many USB devices plugged in.