Asus C246M PRO, help needed with setting APIC/PIC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lizard

Feb 14, 2021
Hello everyone,

I am just a pc enthusiast, not an IT proffesional. Nevertheless, I built a server for our small company using Asus C246M PRO motherboard, 2 years ago (currently it has Intel E-2288G CPU, 16GB of supported Samsung ram,…). A little bit of OCD in me wants to optimize everything as good as possible.

From the beginning I noticed Q-Code LED display showing code AC, which means: System has transitioned into ACPI mode. Interrupt controller is in PIC mode.

I tried various settings in Bios and then everytime doing clean Windows install (10 Pro and 2019 Server Essentials), but everytime Q-Code LED display shows code AC.

AA code on Q-Code LED display would stand for System has transitioned into ACPI mode. Interrupt controller is in APIC mode; but AA never shows up, always the AC.

In Bios I have X2APIC Opt Out set to disable, which should indeed be disabled if you want X2APIC to be enabled. Playing with various other settings did not set the Interrupt controller into APIC mode, according to Q-Code LED display.

I did read about PIC and APIC on internet, but my knowledge is of course quite limited, so I don't think I can understand it any better. I also consulted a friend who is an IT proffesional, and then he consulted his co-worker who takes care of servers, but none of them were able to help me.

What else can I do or set to make it work?
I know servethehome reviewed this motherboard - https://www.servethehome.com/asus-ws-c246m-pro-motherboard-review/ so I hope someone here can help me out.

Thank you very much for the answers.

P.S. I know I will probably not notice any real life performance benefits, but I need to get to the bottom of this. :)