Asus ASMB9-iKVM - how safe is it to update the firmware?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gargravarr

Jul 1, 2021
Hey folks,

Tis the season so I bought myself a replacement iKVM module for my Asus P11C-i motherboard. Replacement, because I nuked the previous one by upgrading the firmware. Specifically, I fell into a variant of this problem:

What I did with the last one was to update to the firmware published for the iKVM itself, which was 1.15, versus the one one published under my specific board, which was 1.13. Initially I was able to get into it but the HTML5 KVM was very unstable and kept dropping. So I tried to roll back the firmware and ran into the above - no matter what I tried, I couldn't get into the thing, and the IPMI device became extremely problematic - it held up boot for several minutes before reporting a fault, and /dev/ipmi0 disappeared from the OS.

I have firmware version 1.13.1 on the replacement. I notice that 1.13.6 is available under the motherboard. However, since I've had previous trouble and I'm not the only one, I'm not keen to upgrade. I have no specific reason to upgrade, all the features I want work, but I'm thinking of security issues now and in future.

Anyone successfully upgraded these units who can reassure me? They're replaceable but that doesn't mean they're consumable...

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I have updated them numerous times without issue, but learned my lesson to pick the one for my board.
As long as you are sure its that then there should be no issue.

However, is there is no reason to upgrade (i.e. no issue hitting you, no security fix), then no need to change the proverbial running system.