Asrockrack X470D4U and zen3 / Ryzen 5900X support

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
Do let know if/when you list the X570D4U-2L2T for sale. I am planning on integrating my main desktop into my Proxmox cluster and do a VFIO setup. My current board's IOMMU groups are terrible and the Xx70D4U fits the bill perfectly.
I’ll let you know if the guy who called dibs already passes on it.

I also might sell it in conjunction with 64GB of ECC RAM, a Wraith Prism, a Ryzen 7 3700X, a HP H220, and my Supermicro 836.

Reactions: nukke

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Do let know if/when you list the X570D4U-2L2T for sale. I am planning on integrating my main desktop into my Proxmox cluster and do a VFIO setup. My current board's IOMMU groups are terrible and the Xx70D4U fits the bill perfectly.
I tried Proxmox yeserday on my X470D4U and I couldn't get things working even with the IOMMU split all the way down so each device was in it's own group by using "pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction"

It looked perfect, and you could select things individually in the Proxmox UI, so I tried running an UNraid VM with an LSI card, NVME drive and USB all passed through. No matter what I did it resulted in the Proxmox server locking up :(

Switched back to ESXi and the exact same devices passed through worked instantly.
Maybe I could of got it working, but after messing with it for a few hours I was done!

nukke

Aug 5, 2021
I tried Proxmox yeserday on my X470D4U and I couldn't get things working even with the IOMMU split all the way down so each device was in it's own group by using "pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction"

It looked perfect, and you could select things individually in the Proxmox UI, so I tried running an UNraid VM with an LSI card, NVME drive and USB all passed through. No matter what I did it resulted in the Proxmox server locking up :(

Switched back to ESXi and the exact same devices passed through worked instantly.
Maybe I could of got it working, but after messing with it for a few hours I was done!
Are you running the latest, or close to the latest BIOS version? I have a GPU in one of the slots that I'm passing to a VM for media transcoding and I've had no issues whatsoever. I'm also passing a PCIe LSI card to a TrueNAS VM on the same host and I've had no issues. Do keep in mind that you have to bifurcate the slots for it to work (x8/x8 instead of top slot being x16).

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Are you running the latest, or close to the latest BIOS version? I have a GPU in one of the slots that I'm passing to a VM for media transcoding and I've had no issues whatsoever. I'm also passing a PCIe LSI card to a TrueNAS VM on the same host and I've had no issues. Do keep in mind that you have to bifurcate the slots for it to work (x8/x8 instead of top slot being x16).
I'm using the latest P4.20 bios, although I didn't try the beta bios that's out there.
I wasn't even trying to bifurcate and I was using the nvme slots on the motherboard with nothing in the top slot.

ESXi is happy either way and I can use my nvme drives in the motherboard slots or PCIe bifurcated to x4x4x4x4.

cmmh

Feb 26, 2021

Curious if you're on Proxmox 6.x or have moved to 7.x ?

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home

Just out of curiosity...Does the passthrough in ESXi apply to each SATA port individually, or they are grouped together?

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Just out of curiosity...Does the passthrough in ESXi apply to each SATA port individually, or they are grouped together?
You can only pass through the SATA controllers themselves.
There are 6 SATA ports that are native to the x470 chipset and another 2 that come from an Asmedia controller.

1629905325841.png

NVME drives are PCIe devices so they can be passed through individually.

Last edited:
Reactions: nukke and Ralph_IT

Drainpipe4610

Jun 13, 2022
I ran into the exact same issue with the x470d4u. I cannot passthrough a nvme SSD no matter what I try. Proxmox just locks up. Sadly, I am going back to ESXi 6.7u3 which had no issues with passthrough.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I ran into the exact same issue with the x470d4u. I cannot passthrough a nvme SSD no matter what I try. Proxmox just locks up. Sadly, I am going back to ESXi 6.7u3 which had no issues with passthrough.
What IOMMU groups do you see on your host?
Is the NVME drive in it's own group?

This is a very handy script to see the exact devices and groups - List the devices and their IOMMU groups. · GitHub

You cannot pass through a single device of a group and simultaneously use the others on the host

Last edited: