ASRock WC621D8A-2T & WC621D8A-NL Boards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I have 2 boards and both went into MFG mode (Manufacturing Mode) today. I guess without a signed OEM key for the BMC these two are dead. Can not even touch BIOS or anything else. Typical Asrock ... Not messing with DMA sideloads for BMC and waiting months for AsRock support.

Last edited:

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
I have 2 boards and both went into MFG mode (Manufacturing Mode) today. I guess without a signed OEM key for the BMC these two are dead. Can not even touch BIOS or anything else. Typical Asrock ... Not messing with DMA sideloads for BMC and waiting months for AsRock support.
Every time I've contacted arsockrack sat they answered right away

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
WC621D8-NL -- No POST

Finally able to bench-test my board, and it's giving error code bd (in LED display). Anybody know what bd indicates?

Ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks.
-----------
Details:
-Gold 6132 CPU
-Noctua NH-D9 cooler
-1x DDR4-2666 16GB RDIMM (in DDR4-A1)
-520w PSU connected to ATXPWR1 & ATX12V1 (ATX12V2 & ATX12V3 open)
-jumper wires on PWRBTN & GND

Appears to get past CPU & memory tests. (did get a 53 error once, from a partially seated DIMM)
Never gives any monitor display using VGA (on-board). Nor with HDMI (via NVS315 in PCIe7 [& 5]). PCIe card removed after those attempts.

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
WC621D8-NL -- No POST

Finally able to bench-test my board, and it's giving error code bd (in LED display). Anybody know what bd indicates?

Ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks.
-----------
Details:
-Gold 6132 CPU
-Noctua NH-D9 cooler
-1x DDR4-2666 16GB RDIMM (in DDR4-A1)
-520w PSU connected to ATXPWR1 & ATX12V1 (ATX12V2 & ATX12V3 open)
-jumper wires on PWRBTN & GND

Appears to get past CPU & memory tests. (did get a 53 error once, from a partially seated DIMM)
Never gives any monitor display using VGA (on-board). Nor with HDMI (via NVS315 in PCIe7 [& 5]). PCIe card removed after those attempts.
I would check if all the cpu contacts are clean and no bent socket pins. Double check cpu installation.

Reactions: UhClem

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
WC621D8-NL -- No POST

Ideas? Suggestions?
should not with a skylake gold but to be on the safe side:
put two RDIMMs, A1 & D1 (ASRock is different)

Reactions: UhClem

UhClem

Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
Thank you, all !

@gb00s : Damn them! No consistency (between left & right char pos).
See actual displays of 00, 06, 19, 60. 67, 6D below

@nihonjin : While the DIMMs were known good (borrowed from my [LGA2066] workstation), both the CPU (newly-acquired eBay-used) & mobo (virginal, but ...) are "unknowns"; and this is my only LGA3647 platform. So I had very carefully inspected both CPU & mobo socket, and was meticulous in their installation (along with carrier & cooler). Going to wait on a fresh re-install (and possibly buying a 2nd CPU) for a bit.

@RolloZ170 : Same 6D after 2 DIMMs, in A1 & D1 (after a CMOS clear).

Need to research what-all goes on in System Agent DXE Init ; maybe something will jump out to me--and/or encourage the CPU re-install.
Also will verify that all jumpers ARE in their documented Default positions.

Very open to additional suggestions. thanks
--------
DD-00.jpgDD-06.jpgDD-19.jpgDD-60.jpgDD-67.jpgDD-6D.jpg

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
Did you reset the uefi bios? Even if you think that the proc is perfectly installed, I do suggest you that you take it out and clean the contacts with isopropyl alcohol

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
@RolloZ170 : Same 6D after 2 DIMMs, in A1 & D1 (after a CMOS clear).
was worth a try.
can you describe your cpu installation procedure ?
do you use torque driver ?
or have you turned screws 3 & 4 until you feel resistance ? (end of thread)

UhClem

Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
Did you reset the uefi bios?
(Since I haven't gotten to the stage where I could actually interact with the board/BIOS, my answer is "No, not explicitly.") But, I did do a full "Clear CMOS" procedure[Link] prior to each retry; so maybe I did.
Even if you think that the proc is perfectly installed, I do suggest you that you take it out and clean the contacts with isopropyl alcohol
Definitely will do. "Looks can be deceiving." I.e., not all/many failures in conductance will have visible clues/precursors.

UhClem

Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
was worth a try.
Agreed; and easy enough to do.
can you describe your cpu installation procedure ?
I used a blend/combination of the docs for SuperMicro X11SPL-F, Noctua NH-D9, and WC621D8A (putting least trust/priority on the last**). However, I read the "PHM Heatsink" Section 8.6 (Pgs 80-82; attached below[1st & 2nd Gen same]) from Intel's Xeon_Scalable-Thermal_Mechanical_Specs_and_Design_Guide for both background (theory/design) and as the final arbiter (the Gospel, according to Intel).
do you use torque driver ?
Don't have one ...
or have you turned screws 3 & 4 until you feel resistance ? (end of thread)
Yes, essentially that. I backed off about 1/8 turn from "end of thread".
------
** (in my opiniion,) AsrockRack really does themself a disservice by treating their technical documentation so "carelessly". I'm all for minimalism and brevity, but NEVER when it introduces ambiguity, or worst of all, inaccuracies [e.g., DIMM Population guide]. The best example of the former without the latter is the original Unix [early 70's, Bell Labs, Murray Hill, NJ]; not only the documentation, but the brilliant design and implementation of the software. \Rant

Attachments

UhClem

Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
D-oh2.jpg
Feeling stupid ... but very relieved. (It's alive!)

(My first build with a server motherboard) I mistook the length of time at 6D for a "freeze", and the following [90, 89, 88, ... one-second-intervals] countdown as an impending implicit reset. (Even after finding out that 6D was Northbridge Init phase, I didn't envision that taking ~25 seconds.)

More patience, less drama.

Reactions: Roy68 and nihonjin

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I mistook the length of time at 6D for a "freeze", and the following [90, 89, 88, ... one-second-intervals]
countdown waiting for BMC. after switching the PSU on(BMC boots up), wait longer before you press the PWR_BTN.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Is someone here who bought this WC621D8A-NL board able to backup the original bios and share it? AsRock does not reply to support requests at all ...

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
Is someone here who bought this WC621D8A-NL board able to backup the original bios and share it? AsRock does not reply to support requests at all ...
Did you got it? and... why aren't you using the 2T version? should be the same.

Reactions: RedX1

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
Anyone else having issues with the PCI-E mode? just noticed mine is working at x4 in PCI-E1 slot with a 4060TI and doesn't seems to want to change no matter what I do.

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
Anyone else having issues with the PCI-E mode? just noticed mine is working at x4 in PCI-E1 slot with a 4060TI and doesn't seems to want to change no matter what I do.
Forget it, pretty sure it has a defective multiplexer IC.

?? same person reported 2T BIOS work. now he ask for original BIOS dump.
you tell him 2T BIOS work
That was on february