Asrock ROMED8-2T - On-Board VGA out not working

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

srekar

Oct 19, 2023
I just finished basic bench assembly of ROMED8-2T with 7302P. All is well, no codes on Dr.Debug but I have no Video Output from on-board VGA Out. I don’t have another video card to mount in PCI and check.

Since my monitor Dell U3223QE don’t have VGA port, I am using a VGA to HDMI converter from the ROMED8-2T and a HDMI cable to my monitor.

I logged in to IPMI and could see the processor and all 8 RAM modules installed and NVME drive. I also changed PCI settings so that video to On-Board VGA is selected as video output.

I even installed Proxmox using IPMI Web console.

It confirms all is well except On-Board VGA Video out. It could be a setting or my VGA to HDMI adaptor or something I don't know.

Any one know how to solve this issue? where am I making mistake?

slidermike

May 7, 2023
I suspect it is your cable/converter solution.
The biggest issue I see is this.
VGA = analog
HDMI = digital
If your converter is passive then it almost certainly will not work.
Requires an "active" converter to convert analog to digital. That requires a power source outside of the server & monitor.
Additionally since you mentioned a converter AND cable it sounds like you are potentially driving a longer run which could require more power to push the signal.
bad connection - confirm all ends are firmly inserted.
damaged adapter - try a different adapter.
resolution & refresh rate - vga is usually limited to around 60Hz/75Hz & around 1080p.
Use the blue colored port on the mobo. Sounds obvious but sometimes mistakes happen.

Perhaps a friend can lend you an old monitor?
Used 24" monitor with vga port for $70.

Attachments

Reactions: srekar

srekar

Oct 19, 2023
I suspect it is your cable/converter solution.
The biggest issue I see is this.
VGA = analog
HDMI = digital
If your converter is passive then it almost certainly will not work.
Requires an "active" converter to convert analog to digital. That requires a power source outside of the server & monitor.
Additionally since you mentioned a converter AND cable it sounds like you are potentially driving a longer run which could require more power to push the signal.
bad connection - confirm all ends are firmly inserted.
damaged adapter - try a different adapter.
resolution & refresh rate - vga is usually limited to around 60Hz/75Hz & around 1080p.
Use the blue colored port on the mobo. Sounds obvious but sometimes mistakes happen.

Perhaps a friend can lend you an old monitor?
Used 24" monitor with vga port for $70.
That helped. Just observed, there is a small micro usb port on the VGA-HDMI converter and powered it up. Video started working from mother board.
Thanks a lot slidermike.

Reactions: slidermike