Asrock Rack EP2C602 and Windows 10 - no more random crashes

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sprite

Feb 20, 2017
Well from what I have seen its the driver updates that are causing the issues, but I just disabled everything. Security updates are a joke.

I also noticed a few weeks back that when I enabled updates again it downloads a different chipset driver, tried it and the crashes came back. So I just disabled everything again.
Ah I see, I just ordered this board an I'm trying to decide to run Windows 7, Windows 10 (preferred, but I want security updates) or I should just get a Windows Server 2016 license. Does anybody have a concrete answer if this board will run fine without driver updates? Or how about Windows Server 2016, any issues there?

jkasich

Jun 18, 2018
Ah I see, I just ordered this board an I'm trying to decide to run Windows 7, Windows 10 (preferred, but I want security updates) or I should just get a Windows Server 2016 license. Does anybody have a concrete answer if this board will run fine without driver updates? Or how about Windows Server 2016, any issues there?
I know it is a bit late but if anyone is stil wondering: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2016, and Ubuntu Server/Linux Mint/Solus run perfectly on this board. Windows 10 really has a single driver issue (with an Intel driver, which is automatically downloaded through updates) which is causing those BSD. The real problem is not the driver itself, it is simply the fact that Windows 10 updates are mandatory by default and you cannot cherrypick them. I tried disabling driver updates only, but it still managed to update the faulty driver in question. However, there is a workaround. Simply install W10 (or upgrade from Windows 7/8.1 through a USB made with Media Creation Tool without letting it download addiotional updates) and do not connect to the internet until you have disabled Windows Updates completely (through gpedit, regedit, etc). Afterwards, it works perfectly with the generic Windows 10 drivers and you can install additional drivers for GPU and other peripherals. When there is a major Creators Update, simply create a new bootable flash with the latest W10 version through Media Creation Tool, plug it in, select to upgrade your system and be sure to disconnect from the net and not allow it to download additional updates. I have had no problem running GPU and CPU intensive calculations for 24/7 on this machine with W10.

Last edited: