ASRock Rack B650D4U-2L2T - Error 21 No Post

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
Hi, I'd like to know if anyone can share some wisdom on what I'm doing wrong here.

I've received my new ASRock mainboard ( Bios 1.14 listed on the chip).

These are the parts being used for the build:

Ryzen 7900x with Crucial 32GB 4800MT ( CT32G48C40U5.M16A1 ) RAM which is listed on QVL.

On first boot there is no VGA output without delay ~240 seconds (I assume since BMC is connected to VGA)
Once posted, I proceeded to update BIOS & BMC using EFI Shell to version 2.09 & 2.07.

After reboot the board refuses to post and shows 21 on the debug. :(

Everything I can find online points to memory errors for 2x codes.

I've removed all the RAM and used a single cycled DIMM without any changes, all the RAM removed results in the board showing 00 and beeping.
I attempted to re-seat the CPU also, cleared the CMOS, removed the battery.. nothing still not booting. Tired connecting the HDMI port.. still no display.

My first thought has to try to reflash the BIOS using the BMC however it does not seem to be working as there is no DHCP request being sent, I've also tested this with a ethernet directly connected to my laptop and still no DHCP requests.

Is there anyway to perform a "FlashBack" of the bios by using a USB/FAT32 like Supermicro offers..?
This board does not appear to have a flashback button present like the consumer focused ones.

One would assume that I've used to wrong bios or performed the update incorrectly however this is my second board using the same procedure and USB.
The first one is running like a champ.

Any recommendations would be great, I've opened a ticket with ASRock support but still waiting for their response.. my next option was to connect to the console and hope that redirect is enabled by default.

Last edited:

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
--

aah. this is AMI tool, may not work for all ASRock.
ASRock has a BIOS function Instant FLash, or can flash BIOS in BMC WebGUI.
Okay it did seem to update successfully from what I can tell.

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
In this case yes, but as mentioned this is my second deployment with the same mobo. I used the same USB and process on the other mainboard and its working without a problem.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Is there anyway to perform a "FlashBack" of the bios by using a USB/FAT32 like Supermicro offers..?
not supported by actual SM boards, ASROck has also a special recovery block in BIOS.
if the ASRock manual do not help further you can ask for new BIOS/BMC chips or make your own.
remember the BIOS/BMC chips are socketed.

btw: it is a good idea before any BIOS/BMC update to have a chip dump.
all you need is ch341a from ebay/amazon and a soic16 to dip8 adapter because ch341a can only flash 8pin chips.

Last edited:
Reactions: VMman

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
not supported by actual SM boards, ASROck has also a special recovery block in BIOS.
if the ASRock manual do not help further you can ask for new BIOS/BMC chips or make your own.
remember the BIOS/BMC chips are socketed.

btw: it is a good idea before any BIOS7BMC update to have a chip dump.
all you need is ch341a from ebay/amazon and a soic16 to dip8 adapter because ch341a can only flash 8pin chips.
Thanks for your input, I'd have to weigh up either RMA or an attempt to reflash the BIOS using said programmer.
I guess I could make a dump of the working boards BIOS if I do go that route.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I guess I could make a dump of the working boards BIOS if I do go that route.
if you do so with BMC and BIOS your LAN NICs will have same MAC addresses.
if you flash BIOS BMC the normal way the tool does NOT just averwrite the whole chip, some areas must keep unchanged.
i don't know if AMD uses PCH serialno, in that case the (allready initialized) BIOS from other board is bond on the PCH.

what works is to flash the BMC BIOS from downloaded files and then change NICs MAC to correct values if required.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
don't expect that this is working. remember you made same procedure like at first board, should have been fine but was not because faulty board ???

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
don't expect that this is working. remember you made same procedure like at first board, should have been fine but was not because faulty board ???
Thanks, maybe worthwhile to have the tools for any future needs.. you mentioned an a soic16 to dip8 adapter.. will this kit work?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
a warning about replacing the BIOS/BMC chips:
make a photo of the orientation of pin1 and make sure you place the new chip same way,
the wrong inserted chip blows up in a fraction of a second.

Reactions: VMman

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
Just an update for this, I had some time today to attempt a fix however even after flashing the bios I'm still presented with a Error 21.

I guess RMA would be my only option.

Thanks @RolloZ170 for your help, I ended up having to get another adaptor which enabled me to dump the BIOS and reflash.

pic1.jpg