ASRock rack B650D4U-2L2T error 15 -> 99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fcarucci

Apr 19, 2023
Hello!

I'm pretty new to this so please pardon me for the noob question. I'm building this 2U server with the AsRock Rack B650D4U-2L2T and a Ryzen 7900 CPU, 32mb of ECC ram (MICRON 32GB DDR5-4800MHZ CL40 UDIMM).

When I turn on the server, the motherboard first shows 15 and then, after some time, 99. 99 should be
PEI_CAR_NB_INIT, but I'm not sure what it means.

Images here:

I tried to clear the CMOS (hopefully I did it right, take the battery out, short the Clear CMOS Pad), but no luck. I don't see any hdmi output and the IPMI doesn't seem to grab an IP, so I'm in the dark.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, if I'm missing anything or what more information I can provide to troubleshoot this? Thanks!

fcarucci

Apr 19, 2023
Thanks for your help on this one. I can not access IPMI, I don't seem to be able to grab an ip, but that might be a problem with my network. So I'm not sure what version I'm running. Yes, it's DXE_SIO_INIT. As long as the MB is powered, I should be able to access the IPMI if it gets an ip, right?

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
You're using the port above the two USB ports? (labelled #4 in the manual diagram)
It should pull a DHCP IP as long as the board is powered.

1681954734890.png

Do you have both ATX12V power connected (i.e. all 3)?

1681954856566.png

fcarucci

Apr 19, 2023
This is very helpful. I'm using the correct ethernet port, so I'm pretty sure the problem here is my dhcp server (it's being acting up lately).

> Do you have both ATX12V power connected (i.e. all 3)?

No, only the ATXPWR1 and the ATX12V2 connected, cause I only had one CPU power cable in the power supply box. That might be it! Should I look for another cable and connect all three then?

Edit: I found another cable that fits (but it's not marked as CPU), connected it, powered on and I still get error 99 and no POST.

Last edited:

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
OK. Yes, you need to connect all 3 on this board.

There should be a sticker on the BIOS chip on the motherboard - unless there's 2.09 (or newer) printed on it, you're going to need to flash the BIOS via the IPMI to proceed, I think.

fcarucci

Apr 19, 2023
Ok, I can't see any sticker anywhere on the board. I guess the next step is to get the IPMI to work. Out of my curiosity, assuming I'm not on 2.09 or newer, why is it needed? Is it specific to the 7900? Again, your help is greatly appreciated.

fcarucci

Apr 19, 2023
Ok, so now it's a networking problem, it's refusing to get an IP from the DHCP. When I plug in my laptop in the same port, I'm getting an IP. I'm reading everywhere that the IPMI should just work and request an IP automatically. I'm a bit at a loss here.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
There's always hoops to jump through when setting up a system :)

Can you cut power entirely to the board for a few minutes, then power it on again and see if it pulls an IP?

What DHCP server are you running? Can you sort by lease expiration date to make sure you're not missing it? Alternatively, find the IPMI's MAC address and search the DHCP server leases for that MAC?

fcarucci

Apr 19, 2023
It doesn't help being very rusty at building PCs :D
I'm cutting power off now.

I'm running a UDM SE. I saw the MAC address today, but no ip assigned. Now I can not even see the Mac address anymore, but I see traffic on the port. My UDM SE is acting up A LOT lately, so I guess I have to fix it first. Ubiquiti support is not being of great help here, to say the least (https://community.ui.com/questions/...-changes/613f7de2-e26c-4412-b362-acdd63466883).

Edit: no luck waiting to pull an ip. Back to fixing the UDM SE.

Last edited:

fcarucci

Apr 19, 2023
It took me few weeks, but I finally made it.
For reference for anyone going through this after me, I had the following problems:
- BIOS was outdate (1.14), needed to install the latest that supports the 7900
- The reason why the IPMI board wasn't getting an ip was... that it was getting an ip, ipv6.
- Once I found the ipv6 by looking at the dhcp logs, I logged in the IPMI web interface and updated the BIOS

Now the CPU is recognized, I can go into the BIOS, try to boot from USB to install Proxmox and... stuck on "Welcome to GRUB!". I used the same usb to install Proxmox on another device.

Back to trouble shooting, unless someone knows what I'm doing wrong here :)