ASRock Rack 1U4LW-ICX/2T Review 1U Intel Xeon Ice Lake Hosting Node

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DiHydro

Oct 5, 2020
For reviews like this, I think a better way to get a point rating is to use a deduction system. Any reader of jonnyguru.com reviews will know what I am talking about.
You can still start with 10 points for each category, but for each problem or issue you call out in the writing you would subtract one point. Yes, this makes scores seem much lower at first, but it highlights the difference between very good and great products quite well. For example, not being able to use all the PCI lanes is large detraction for this chassis. So that would get -1 point on the feature set. Missing an M.2 would be another half point off. The design would get a point knocked off for the flimsy plastic shrouds and another half point for the cabled fans. Half a point off in design for not marking the 80Plus rating on the PSU.
If something is really good, or stands out at heads above the competition, you can even reward points back. Maybe the latch is worth a quarter point at this price range for value, or the 2.5" bays are a nice touch for this segment so they get a full point back, ok, maybe a half point because they aren't front accessible.
You can see how this system starts to get away from subjective evaluations of each category, and attempts toward objective. The whole thing that drove me to write this is that currently there is very little difference between a good and a great product. This seems like a very good to great product for it's segment, with a couple nit picks. This of course should earn it score near 9, but compare it to the Asus RS720Q-E10-RS24 2U 4-node Server. The Asus is of course a different category, but it's main draw is the value, and with it being more of an average, middle of the road solution a score of 7 or 8 would be appropriate, of course with a highlight on it's value proposition.

PS. The spider graphs are really nice!

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
For reviews like this, I think a better way to get a point rating is to use a deduction system. Any reader of jonnyguru.com reviews will know what I am talking about.
You can still start with 10 points for each category, but for each problem or issue you call out in the writing you would subtract one point. Yes, this makes scores seem much lower at first, but it highlights the difference between very good and great products quite well. For example, not being able to use all the PCI lanes is large detraction for this chassis. So that would get -1 point on the feature set. Missing an M.2 would be another half point off. The design would get a point knocked off for the flimsy plastic shrouds and another half point for the cabled fans. Half a point off in design for not marking the 80Plus rating on the PSU.
If something is really good, or stands out at heads above the competition, you can even reward points back. Maybe the latch is worth a quarter point at this price range for value, or the 2.5" bays are a nice touch for this segment so they get a full point back, ok, maybe a half point because they aren't front accessible.
You can see how this system starts to get away from subjective evaluations of each category, and attempts toward objective. The whole thing that drove me to write this is that currently there is very little difference between a good and a great product. This seems like a very good to great product for it's segment, with a couple nit picks. This of course should earn it score near 9, but compare it to the Asus RS720Q-E10-RS24 2U 4-node Server. The Asus is of course a different category, but it's main draw is the value, and with it being more of an average, middle of the road solution a score of 7 or 8 would be appropriate, of course with a highlight on it's value proposition.

PS. The spider graphs are really nice!
"JonnyGuru"

whoa whoa whoa, now there's a name I haven't heard of in a while. RIP jonnyguru.com :(

Reactions: Patrick

DiHydro

Oct 5, 2020
"JonnyGuru"

whoa whoa whoa, now there's a name I haven't heard of in a while. RIP jonnyguru.com :(
Quite honestly some of the best component reviews I have ever read. Very particular, and they must have taken forever to write, but if it had a good rating from them, it was going to be a 100% winner.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I dislike having ratings in general.

Spider charts are what I want.

Reactions: DiHydro