Asrock EPYCD8-2T new Bios

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
DHCP would not work in the IPMI LAN Port
this is the default setting. have you bought this EPYCD8-2T new ? or as "for parts/defective" ?
you can buy a already flashed BIOS chip from some ebay vendors, the BIOS is socketed.

Reactions: nnunn

nnunn

Jun 9, 2019
... because IPMI and BMC never worked.
... and DHCP would not work in the IPMI LAN Port.
Any chance your motherboard has a static IP address? If you could get (or set) a static IP address, you could try connecting to the BMC directly from a laptop with a cat 6 Ethernet cable. PS: connecting to your BMC may need secure "https:" not "http:"

denialmx

Mar 26, 2022
Atlanta
this is the default setting. have you bought this EPYCD8-2T new ? or as "for parts/defective" ?
you can buy a already flashed BIOS chip from some ebay vendors, the BIOS is socketed.
I bought it new 2 years ago, and only yesterday I decided to check on the BMC thing and try to upgrade the BIOS.
No warranty unfortunately, so i do think the BIOS upgrade got corrupted. I´ll see if I can get a new BIOS chip from ebay.

denialmx

Mar 26, 2022
Atlanta
I think I might have fried my BIOS chip. Indeed, this board has a socketed chip. You can peel the sticker with the firmware version. (Mine was P.2.30) and then open the cap and take the chip out. Long story short, I think I put the BIOS backwards by mistake. I turned it off quick enough but I did smell a short circuit. The chip was really hot when I took it out.

Anyway, don't want to hijack the thread. Just, if you happen to have a similar system of mine, rather think twice before upgrading . Before the upgrade, I had a 100% working production system. Minus IPMI/BMC that never worked

I'll try flashing the BIOS chip, ordering a new chip with P2.30, and tearing apart the system if needed, maybe buying a new motherboard.

Thank you all very much.

denialmx

Mar 26, 2022
Atlanta
Any chance your motherboard has a static IP address? If you could get (or set) a static IP address, you could try connecting to the BMC directly from a laptop with a cat 6 Ethernet cable. PS: connecting to your BMC may need secure "https:" not "http:"
I tried both. DHCP and static. Connecting a raspberry Pi in the same port worked fine. In BIOS before attempting the upgrade, It would always say something about BMC Initialization Status Failed or something like that

Curious thing, if you enter to config the LAN information statically, you would see the 10G interfaces, not the Mgmt Port dedicated to IPMI. Also the BIOS would say that it did not now the BMC software version.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Long story short, I think I put the BIOS backwards by mistake. I turned it off quick enough but I did smell a short circuit. The chip was really hot when I took it out.
typical for a wrong placed flash chip. anything you touch gets hot is'nt it ?
if you are located in europe a can send you a programmed BIOS ship.

denialmx

Mar 26, 2022
Atlanta
typical for a wrong placed flash chip. anything you touch gets hot is'nt it ?
if you are located in europe a can send you a programmed BIOS ship.
Unfortunately I am located in USA.
I did order a new programmed chip from Europe though via eBay. Specifically with P2.30 version, which was my working version.
Also, I'll try to play with this chip, not sure if a CH341A would work with this chip, I've removed RAM, CPU, so many times that I might as well tear the whole thing apart and clean it, it was a bit dusty while the chip arrives.

Thanks for the help.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Also, I'll try to play with this chip, not sure if a CH341A would work with this chip
your hot chip is dead or no longer reliable for usage. the ch341a can flash this size, but you need linux, the available windows software sucks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I did order a new programmed chip from Europe though via eBay. Specifically with P2.30 version, which was my working version.
you can buy one from this us ebay seller, tell them your board type and the BIOS you need. they have all chips up to 64MB size. the chip should be a mx25l25635fmi-10g (or equivalent w25q256fv i.e.). the NL? seller is good but shipping will take a very long time or shipg. is horrible expensive.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
That's the google drive link, I was looking for the Asrock EU site link, I wasn't able to find it on Google.
there is no asrock.eu direct link. you get it if you ask for, you need the serial number of your board.

Reactions: tjk

denialmx

Mar 26, 2022
Atlanta
your hot chip is dead or no longer reliable for usage. the ch341a can flash this size, but you need linux, the available windows software sucks.
Yeah, I've ordered a new batch of 5 chips like this so I can play with this.
Hopefully I can recover the BIOS :D

Thanks all