ASRock E3C236D2I VGA/IPMI question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kai Amundsen

Jan 29, 2016
Chicago, IL
Question: do I need or get any benefit from a processor iGPU with thies board? ASRock Rack > E3C236D2I

The documentation is confusing. Specifically this note in the grphics specs:
"Controller - ASPEED AST2400+ Intel® HD Graphics Built-in Visuals and the VGA outputs can be supported only with processors which are GPU integrated"
which suggests i need an iGPU

The block diagram, however, shows that the VGA port is connected to the IPMI controller, which suggests I don't need it.

1) Will IPMI remote screen control work without an iGPU?
2) Will the onboard VGA port work without an iGPU?

I thought the IPMI was supposed to mean you don't need iGPU so if anyone can provide clarity that would be great.

izx

Jan 17, 2016
1) Will IPMI remote screen control work without an iGPU?
2) Will the onboard VGA port work without an iGPU?
Yes, it's translation fail. The IPMI chip (ASpeed AST2400) provides a 2D GPU and the VGA output. Intel HD Graphics for Skylake don't even support VGA output.

That said, if you're doing things like video decoding/encoding, the QuickSync supported by IntelHD may come in handy. I don't see any way to get an output from the Intel GPU to the VGA though, so 3D gaming is probably out of the question ;)

Kai Amundsen

Jan 29, 2016
Chicago, IL
Thanks, that will save me some money not to get a 12*5 Xeon.

This is for an Unraid NAS that the only video encoding will be through PLEX server which is not GPU accelerated as far as I am aware. Sounds like I don't need the iGPU then

Thanks again