Asrock ab350 mobo supports ECC with new bios

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Yeah, i saw another new user posted it here yesterday as well. It's indeed good news. This seems to be a great platform for many use cases, but i very much dislike that i have to pay ~ $200 for 16GB DDR4 ECC UDIMM. This is just crazy.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Did it really need a BIOS update...? As far as I'm aware the ASRock boards have supported ECC UDIMMs since Ryzen came out (apart from a few niggles in the very first couple of months).

I've got one of their B450 boards which had ECC support straight off the bat also (although I'm using a Raven Ridge non-Pro chip which doesn't support ECC), but as it's used in an HTPC the underclocking info may well be useful...

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
You need a Raven Ridge Pro chip in order for ECC to work, but if you're using a regular Ryzen, ECC UDIMMs will work assuming:
a) the motherboard has the extra traces available
b) the BIOS supports it

All of the ASRock AM4 boards list ECC support with regular Ryzen chips and it's been this way since release (although there were a few hiccups with implementation in the first couple of months); I dare say there are other boards from other vendors that support ECC also but only ASRock seems to make a big thing of making support for it as universal as possible. The ECC gubbins in the Ryzen memory controller isn't disabled on the consumer line like they are on chips from some rival CPU manufacturers.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I don't think so, all of the manufacturer specs I've seen point to unbuffered only - only Epyc seems to support registered.

Reactions: gigatexal

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
So AsRock actually supports ECC on their boards. As in if I have an issues with the ECC functionality I can complain and get a replacement board?

It happens to work isn't the same as it is officially supported but I also guess most of you guys don't care about this ;)

It is far more clear cut with Intel what supports ECC or not. I don't like AMDs hand-wavy approach here.

Last edited:

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
It's listed as supported on their spec sheet, so in ASRock's case at least it would appear to be officially supported as far as the motherboards are concerned.

I believe AMD's stance is that ECC support should work on all their chips if the motherboard supports it, but they don't ratify it except on their Pro line. I'm not a great fan of the hand-wavyness either but I'll take ECC support everywhere I can find it.

Reactions: gigatexal