Aruba R1N28A is actually a Seastone DX010

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cahz

May 17, 2023
I was looking for a cheap 32 port 100G switch. I already had a used Celestica Seastone DX010, but unfortunately they are currently not really available in Germany (and I need a correct invoice to get the money back from my employer).

So I found some good offers for an Aruba R1N28A, also known as HPE Composable Fabric FM 3032Q. As there is no information about it on the internet, I ordered one to test it. The switch arrived and all I got was an ONIE bootloader. Officially there is no support for this type of switch, but as it has a Broadcom chip inside, I went ahead and installed SONiC. It turns out it is just a relabeled version of the Seastone DX010!

Just wanted to share this insight, maybe it is useful for someone.

Rio

Nov 27, 2019
I was looking for a cheap 32 port 100G switch. I already had a used Celestica Seastone DX010, but unfortunately they are currently not really available in Germany (and I need a correct invoice to get the money back from my employer).

So I found some good offers for an Aruba R1N28A, also known as HPE Composable Fabric FM 3032Q. As there is no information about it on the internet, I ordered one to test it. The switch arrived and all I got was an ONIE bootloader. Officially there is no support for this type of switch, but as it has a Broadcom chip inside, I went ahead and installed SONiC. It turns out it is just a relabeled version of the Seastone DX010!

Just wanted to share this insight, maybe it is useful for someone.
Hi ,

I Also got HPE Composable Fabric FM 3180 but there is no Network Operating System , based on your information does it work with SONIC ? and does the front module are enable ? because i try to install with Cumulus Linux but the Front Panel Ports are not operate unless i have the license . If it the front panel module are works with SONIC , is there any tutorial guide to install .

Looking forward for your kindly reply , because i have been searching googling around and no information about this HPE Composable FM

Best Regards

cahz

May 17, 2023
So the FM in the name stands for "front module"? For me it looks like a normal switch ;-) All transceiver ports are working with SONiC.

When I powered up my hardware, I could connect via SSH to the management port and directly had the ONIE prompt. From there, you can follow many tutorials, e.g. this one: https://support.aviznetworks.com/hc...-a-switch-using-SCP-HTTP-TFTP-or-USB-methods-
I used the USB method as I do not have any HTTP server without encryption. For more information, google for Seastone DX010 SONiC.

Reactions: Rio

Rio

Nov 27, 2019
So the FM in the name stands for "front module"? For me it looks like a normal switch ;-) All transceiver ports are working with SONiC.

When I powered up my hardware, I could connect via SSH to the management port and directly had the ONIE prompt. From there, you can follow many tutorials, e.g. this one: https://support.aviznetworks.com/hc...-a-switch-using-SCP-HTTP-TFTP-or-USB-methods-
I used the USB method as I do not have any HTTP server without encryption. For more information, google for Seastone DX010 SONiC.
thank you very much for your response , it's seems i almost there to make the switch are able to use , anyway there is one more problem , because when i turn on the switch it will only stuck on Loading System then it back to boot again , so i can't get into ONIE MODE to install SONIC , does it mean i have to install ONIE First to the machine ?

Rio

Nov 27, 2019
Something is wrong with either the image or your switch. ONIE should not stop at that step. You can build ONIE yourself. It's not too bad. Around an hour or so. For the DX010, just make sure you use the final Debian9 version with 4.x kernel and nothing newer. Release Debian9BuildEnvironment: Last release for platforms using a 4.x kernel and older components. · opencomputeproject/onie
it's seem the problem with the image because i try with another image and the process stops in different stage , although it still wont work for me to install ONIE , anyway the switch are not DX010 but HPE Composable Fabric FM 3180 and the part Number are R1N25A

klui

Feb 3, 2019
The R1N25A looks like a Celestica Questone 2 D3030 and the public version of SONiC doesn't have any support for it.

Community ONIE only has support for Questone D3020 (48-port 10G/6 port 40G), not Questone 2. But that build may work on the D3030. Running ONIE won't help you with SONiC though.

Reactions: Rio

Rio

Nov 27, 2019
The R1N25A looks like a Celestica Questone 2 D3030 and the public version of SONiC doesn't have any support for it.

Community ONIE only has support for Questone D3020 (48-port 10G/6 port 40G), not Questone 2. But that build may work on the D3030. Running ONIE won't help you with SONiC though.
yes i just find out that actually the hardware are the same with Celestica Questone 2 D3030 and now i have to find out which NOS that support because alot of NOS that doesn't support with the switch . Some NOS are support with Questone 2a only
:oops:

x00r

Oct 9, 2018
Hi,

I have the same "problem" as i would like to install an supported and open NOS on Celestica Questone 2 (not 2A). AFAIK the only difference is the Trident 3 ASIC, where the D3030 Questone 2 has the "Trident 3 - X7" and the Questone 2A has a "Trident 3 - X5".

=> BISDN wont work out of the box and i did not find any other Open NOS (and only one proprietary: ArcOS) with official support for this switch.

BUT BUT BUT... There should be no black magic involved. Has anybody tried to use OF-DPA with some abstraction layer directly? Or maybe we could somehow use the one shipped with BISDN. I do kind of hope, that it is possible to use the basic L2 functionality (VLANs) without too effort on the porting side of things.

There is also the question, if we could maybe ask BISDN guys nicely to help us support the Questone 2... To point us into the right direction. SONiC is AFAIK much more complicated.

x00r

Oct 9, 2018
UPDATE: If you want to have the Questone 2 (not 2A) supported by BISDN, join their community Slack and help me build an image... I have the will power, but not much experience in doing so.

powerstroke

Sep 20, 2021
Hi ,

I Also got HPE Composable Fabric FM 3180 but there is no Network Operating System , based on your information does it work with SONIC ? and does the front module are enable ? because i try to install with Cumulus Linux but the Front Panel Ports are not operate unless i have the license . If it the front panel module are works with SONIC , is there any tutorial guide to install .

Looking forward for your kindly reply , because i have been searching googling around and no information about this HPE Composable FM

Best Regards
Did you ever figure this out?

powerstroke

Sep 20, 2021
UPDATE: If you want to have the Questone 2 (not 2A) supported by BISDN, join their community Slack and help me build an image... I have the will power, but not much experience in doing so.
Did you ever make any progress with this?

Rio

Nov 27, 2019
Did you ever figure this out?
no bro , i haven't figure it out ? i read it on github that sonic Network Operating System can be use with celestial questone 2 , but we need to make image by ourself , but i dont know what they are talking about on github to make image by our self :(