Arista or alternative pre-owned?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zzachattack2

Oct 14, 2023
I have accepted the reality that the type of switch I really want just doesn’t exist (12-24 port 10g, evpn+vxlan capable, in a prosumer/SMB form-factor/price), and that refurb DC gear is really my only option in this space.

The Arista 7050SX-64 is coming out on top so far, given evpn-vxlan support, licensing, and price/availability. Would anyone disagree with that assessment or recommend something else? I’d definitely pay more for a smaller idle power footprint and/or ONIE support, but prefer something under $500.

As far as the pre-owned market, which I have not purchased from before, am I missing something regarding the wide price range for the same device? I can find that Arista on eBay for a bit under $200 from some sellers, but then from other sellers for 2x, 3x, or more as much (including the same PSUs, fans, etc). Thanks!

BoGs

Feb 18, 2019
I have bought 3 Arista, and 2 Brocades from second-hand market on Ebay. I usually stick to more popular sellers but the switches have always been top notch. Make sure you read the instructions on what is and more importantly not included.

Before covid there was much more similar pricing and I noticed recently when I was looking for QSFP switch to tinker with the pricing went crazy. I have 2 or 3 sellers I usually check and I make them an offer. If they accept or counter with something reasonable I personally would prefer paying a little more from a dedicated second hand seller and as a returning customer I might have more bargaining power? Also not sure if you noticed with Arista but their -R switches are usually cheaper then their -F on Ebay from what I remember.

Hope that helps.

edit Forgot to mention I also always stick with NA as the seller. I am not interested in China or Europe sellers - and dam ebay removed that filter.

zzachattack2

Oct 14, 2023
I have bought 3 Arista, and 2 Brocades from second-hand market on Ebay. I usually stick to more popular sellers but the switches have always been top notch. Make sure you read the instructions on what is and more importantly not included.

Before covid there was much more similar pricing and I noticed recently when I was looking for QSFP switch to tinker with the pricing went crazy. I have 2 or 3 sellers I usually check and I make them an offer. If they accept or counter with something reasonable I personally would prefer paying a little more from a dedicated second hand seller and as a returning customer I might have more bargaining power? Also not sure if you noticed with Arista but their -R switches are usually cheaper then their -F on Ebay from what I remember.

Hope that helps.

edit Forgot to mention I also always stick with NA as the seller. I am not interested in China or Europe sellers - and dam ebay removed that filter.
Awesome, thanks!