Are single-socket EPYC coming to retail?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wujj123456

Sep 20, 2017
Sorry I am not quite familiar with where to buy new server hardware. I've only bought two pairs of dual SNB E5 (used) from ebay when they were really cheap early last year. Now I am looking to replace that 700W system with a single EPYC 7401P.

However I search, it seems that they are "launched", but I can't find anywhere to buy them. The mobo is also a problem for now. I have my eyes on TYAN Tomcat SX s8026, but they are no where to be found either...
http://www.tyan.com/Motherboards_S8026_S8026GM2NRE
(I am only interested in compute. Only a hobby, and thus I don't really need 10Gbps card.)

So far, only Acmemicro | Server, Storage, and Networking Solutions seems to be offering both items with marked up price, but I am not sure how reputable the site is. Anyone has experience with it or other site recommendations I should purchase from?

I intend to install it in an open test bed, instead of server chasis, powering it with standard ATX power supply with dual 8pin connectors. That should work right? I want to do that mostly to reduce the noise as I plan to run it at 100% whenever it is on.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have bought from Acme before.

The systems are coming. I think Tyan's is near retail on UP systems or is already shipping. Gigabyte is close as well. Supermicro has been shipping 2P since August. We have all three in the lab.

I would suspect in the next week or two we will see more systems make their way into the channel. There is more demand than supply right now.

Reactions: wujj123456

wujj123456

Sep 20, 2017
I have bought from Acme before.

The systems are coming. I think Tyan's is near retail on UP systems or is already shipping. Gigabyte is close as well. Supermicro has been shipping 2P since August. We have all three in the lab.

I would suspect in the next week or two we will see more systems make their way into the channel. There is more demand than supply right now.
Thanks! I can sure wait for a few more weeks. Looks like the 7401P on Acme is pre-order as well. I will do another few rounds of search regularly. :) Meanwhile, if you have other websites you regularly buy from, I would love to know and keep an eye on them.