Are AMD B450/B550 chipsets good for Proxmox/Qemu-kvm?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
I am planning a low cost and low noise new build to replace current E3-12xx v3 and i7-4770 which are using VMPlayer for win 10 for testing purposes. (The single thread passmark scores of them are just over 2000.) I will use Proxmox/Qemu-kvm on the new build and it will not run over 24 hours each time.

One selection is to use Ryzen and B450/B550 motherboard. Will it run stably for a couples of hours?

I have experience of ESXi 6.5 on dual E5-26xx v2(supermicro board & case) but only tried and been running Proxmox on HP T730(AMD RX427BB).

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Currently I'm running various versions of debian happily on B450 and X470 boards, the longest of which has been up for 179 days. The only problems I've had with stability on the new AMD platform was back in the early days of the Ryzen APUs when their linux support wasn't up to snuff yet (same kit in my HTPC has been running for weeks now without an issue).

I'm not a user of Proxmox myself, but AIUI it uses debian+KVM as a base so as long as there's no radical departures from the norm I don't see why it shouldn't also be stable. There's lots of people I've seen in various threads running proxmox on the same X470D4U I'm using and there's no reason the B450 should be any less stable. Combing a B450 with a Zen 2 CPU will get you an awful lot of bang for your buck.

(It sounds like ECC, IPMI and lots of IO aren't a concern for your use-case so I'll refrain from commenting further)

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Currently I'm running various versions of debian happily on B450 and X470 boards, the longest of which has been up for 179 days. The only problems I've had with stability on the new AMD platform was back in the early days of the Ryzen APUs when their linux support wasn't up to snuff yet (same kit in my HTPC has been running for weeks now without an issue).

I'm not a user of Proxmox myself, but AIUI it uses debian+KVM as a base so as long as there's no radical departures from the norm I don't see why it shouldn't also be stable. There's lots of people I've seen in various threads running proxmox on the same X470D4U I'm using and there's no reason the B450 should be any less stable. Combing a B450 with a Zen 2 CPU will get you an awful lot of bang for your buck.

(It sounds like ECC, IPMI and lots of IO aren't a concern for your use-case so I'll refrain from commenting further)
Thank you so much for your composing!

mbosma

Dec 4, 2018
I'm not a user of Proxmox myself, but AIUI it uses debian+KVM as a base so as long as there's no radical departures from the norm I don't see why it shouldn't also be stable.
Proxmox is using a kernel based on the kernel used by Ubuntu so it should be a bit ahead of Debian.
I've seen loads of Ryzen based Proxmox hosts (in home environments) and stability has improved a lot since first gen Ryzen (and with that early versions of software support).

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Proxmox is using a kernel based on the kernel used by Ubuntu so it should be a bit ahead of Debian.
I've seen loads of Ryzen based Proxmox hosts (in home environments) and stability has improved a lot since first gen Ryzen (and with that early versions of software support).
Thanks for your input!