APM on 3TB Hitachi 7K3000 and 5K3000 Drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mr. F

Sep 5, 2011
Has anyone found a way to set the APM (Advanced Power Management) on the 3TB and greater Hitachi drives? I'd like to set them to the 'Low Idle RPM' mode, but Hitachi says their utilities don't support 3TB or greater drives.

I have several of them on a M1015 in a raidz, which are fine with the default settings because I can tell the OS to spin them down after a period of time.

However, I have others in external enclosures, and they aren't spinning down after inactivity, which I suspect to be at least partly influenced by the fact that the default APM settings are in place. I'm hopeful that setting the APM to a more aggressive mode will at least partially reduce the noise and heat I'm dealing with at idle.

I can make the change with hdparm, but it doesn't stick; Hitachi says the feature tool will make the change permanent, but it won't work with 3TB drives.

hdparm -B 127

Last edited:

kryptex

May 13, 2011
Hi,
Did you try this ftool?
files.hddguru.com/download/Software/HITACHI%20DRIVE%20FEATURE%20TOOL/FT216M2.iso
It is the newest and handles SATA 6.0 gpbs and other interesting stuff. I managed to set APM on my 7k3000 @ 2TB drives.

Hope this helps for the 3 TB drives.

barbz

Sep 12, 2012
Hi,
Did you try this ftool?
files.hddguru.com/download/Software/HITACHI%20DRIVE%20FEATURE%20TOOL/FT216M2.iso
It is the newest and handles SATA 6.0 gpbs and other interesting stuff. I managed to set APM on my 7k3000 @ 2TB drives.

Hope this helps for the 3 TB drives.
Can you change the head park time with this tool also? or where would I find more information about supported disks/what it can do?

I have two 2tb 7k3000's and the 8 second parking is plain annoying.