APC Smart-UPS 2200VA cable help

Discussion in 'Chassis and Enclosures' started by Necrotyr, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Necrotyr

Necrotyr Member

Hello gents,

I just received my new UPS, but to my dismay there are no wires in the battery tray, so I have no possible way to install batteries in it.

Do any of you guys know where I can get the wire harness for a RBC43 battery assembly or what type of connectors and wire is used, so I can make my own?

TIA
    Alex

2. pricklypunter

pricklypunter Well-Known Member

By the time you buy connector shells, pins & sockets, heavy gauge silicone cable and eyelets etc etc, you will be just as cheap buying either an emtpy cartridge or perhaps a cheap-ish second hand one. Here's a link to something that's relatively cheap :)

Necrotyr likes this.
  3. Necrotyr

Necrotyr Member

Should probably mention that I'm in EU, $185 in shipping and then add tax on top. Think I can do it cheaper with DIY. The connectors are only $5 if the ones I've found are correct.

4. pricklypunter

I would be asking them if they would consider sending you an empty cartridge via USPS, shouldn't be horrible in cost terms. You get it cheaper, they get some spares, its a win-win!

If you really want to roll your own harness, then you'll need the appropriate Anderson connectors. You should be able to get them from either Torberry or 12Vplanet, I think even RS carried them at one point, a quick google should help :)

5. Necrotyr

Necrotyr Member

I have the tray including the wires you connect to the UPS, what I'm missing is the wires between individual batteries, the yellow ones in this picture:

[​IMG]

I'm going to measure the gauge of the red and black wire tomorrow, don't think it'll be more than $30 total.

6. pricklypunter

Ok, I was under the impression from your op that you had none of the wiring. It's just heavy duty 1/4" spade terminals and 6mm2 stranded silicone/ high temp equipment wire. RS has what you need, in fact, you could probably get it at a car accessory or modelling shop if you're stuck :p:D

7. Necrotyr

Necrotyr Member

Would 6mm PVC wire be okay? Found some rated for 750VDC, but it's only rated for 30A.

It has a core diameter of 3mm and a total diameter of 5,6mm.

8. pricklypunter

Providing it's both stranded and high, temperature rated, it should be fine. The battery packs are only rated at 5A ea and there's 4 in series in each bank :)

9. Necrotyr

Necrotyr Member

Should be okay, I guess.

Max operating temperature: 70c
    Max short circuit temperature: 160c
    Rated voltage: 750V