Anyone using TP-Link Omada based infrastructure ?

Allan74

May 15, 2019
I am at a point where I am considering joining the Ubiquiti Cult, but can't justify certain items pricing for home use - Enter TP-Link Omada.

For my needs (for managed devices), I figure I can get away with:
- a simple HW Controller (Oc200, $110 CAD)
- SFP Router/FW (ER7206, $170 CAD)
- main managed switch, dual SFP+, 8x 2.5Gbps, POE+ (TL-SG3210XHP-M2, $590 CAD)
- AC1750 APs (EAP245 V3, $100 CAD)

I am looking at roughly $870 CAD + $100 per Access Point to get started, with the majority of the cost being the main switch.
I figure that any other ports that I need in the future can be cheap un-managed addons.

Would anyone care to offer an opinion as to this stuff being decent or crap ? Buy or Stay away ?

thanks in advance.
Allan

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
not bad, but expensive. one device can be both controller, switch and a router, if you want

Allan74

May 15, 2019
The price of the TP-Link 10 port Dual SFP+/8 port 2.5Gbps POE+ switch is the 1 thing that still has me looking to Ubiquity......it's more expensive than a Dream Machine Pro by roughly $150 CAD.

The point of this was to be cheaper than Ubiquity...not comparable. If it's not worth it, it's not worth it.

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
get one router and 2 random APs. you dont need centralized AP management unless you got a hospital/dorm or a stadium.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
The management is literally the only reason I am considering this gear, so that I don't have to manage each node all in standalone mode, as I am doing right now.

segfault

Apr 5, 2016
hasno.info
I was using Ubiquity UAP-AC-PRO and AC-Lite gear across multiple sites for years (my home, parents, in-laws, cabin in the woods). They weren't very good/stable with firmware. Depending on the "stable" firmware generation I'd have devices just stop passing traffic and APs doing the same at times.

I deployed TP-Link Omada last year when updating my in-laws place and it's been great so far. I just deployed EAP670's are my own place and they've been quite stable.

The management is great and centralized management makes it easy to handle things like IOT vlans and guest networks.

The controller software can run in a container or on a VM. I did deploy an OC200 at my in-laws place.

That switch with 2.5GbE is a lot different than a UDM Pro.

I'd suggest checking out the ubiquity forums on the set of devices you'd be comparing to. If you don't need those 10GbE SFP+ ports there are probably cheaper viable options on the Omada side as well.

Reactions: Angus

Allan74

May 15, 2019
I was using Ubiquity UAP-AC-PRO and AC-Lite gear across multiple sites for years (my home, parents, in-laws, cabin in the woods). They weren't very good/stable with firmware. Depending on the "stable" firmware generation I'd have devices just stop passing traffic and APs doing the same at times.

I deployed TP-Link Omada last year when updating my in-laws place and it's been great so far. I just deployed EAP670's are my own place and they've been quite stable.

The management is great and centralized management makes it easy to handle things like IOT vlans and guest networks.

The controller software can run in a container or on a VM. I did deploy an OC200 at my in-laws place.

That switch with 2.5GbE is a lot different than a UDM Pro.

I'd suggest checking out the ubiquity forums on the set of devices you'd be comparing to. If you don't need those 10GbE SFP+ ports there are probably cheaper viable options on the Omada side as well.
Thanks for the heads up on the Omada APs and Management.

The 10Gbe/2.5Gbe TP-Link switch was to be a future add-on, to get my rack provisioned properly so that I can stop bridging Dual Port SFP+ Cards and daisy chaining Servers to my current single SFP+ port on my Netgear MX510TX.

In regards to comparing a Dream Machine Pro, I was only taking the cost and basic functions into consideration and comparing it as such:

Dream Machine Pro - $470 CAD
......vs.......
TP-Link Oc200 Controller - $110 CAD
TP-Link SFP Router/FW - ER7206, $170 CAD
TP-Link 8 Port Gbe TL-SG2008 - $95 CAD
.........................................................................= $375 CAD Total (or even as low as $265 CAD ditching the Controller).

This puts me under the $100 mark difference and with the DM, I still get SFP+ both WAN/LAN, along with Video features and a more powerful and compact unit.
While I only plan for the time being to subscribe to 1Gbe WAN Service, the SFP TP-Link Router/FW will suffice while they hopefully update the lineup in the future.

Ubiquiti seem to have a far greater selection of components, but at the end of the day, TP-Link is affordable.
The TP-Link stuff, although limited in selection, is much cheaper to get started and the APs seem to be far more affordable than Ubiquiti.

I just don't want to make the usual mistake of choosing CHEAPER and regretting it later.

Cheers,
Allan

segfault

Apr 5, 2016
hasno.info
Seems like a worthwhile comparison. Hopefully the anecdotal report helps. Ubiquiti does have a wide product range and I wish I could say I considered it reliable.

I'll drop a note here if the TP-Link stuff starts flaking out, but so far it's been better stability-wise than the Ubiquiti gear it replaced. My only complaints so far are a lack of dark mode in the management UI and some restrictions on the management UI subnet behavior. I was running the management interface in a docker container on a host with multiple vlans trunked to it and using a localhost based VIP to expose it to clients, which the UI did not like.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Take a look at running Miktrotik CRS305/309 switches + used Ruckus Unleashed AP's :)

I run Proxmox hypervisors with firewall vm's, but you could run a tiny node like the Lenovo M720Q (~$200), which will take a dual 10G SFP+ network card, and also has a 1Gbps copper port for out of band management.

Absolutely rock solid for me and I have symmetric 2.5Gbps internet

Allan74

May 15, 2019
I run Proxmox hypervisors with firewall vm's, but you could run a tiny node like the Lenovo M720Q (~$200), which will take a dual 10G SFP+ network card, and also has a 1Gbps copper port for out of band management.
The cheapest I just found was about $300 CAD with a Pentium/Celeron Gold 5400T. I just can't justify the initial price, then have to immediately throw $hundreds more at it, outpricing even the Dream Machine Pro.

Take a look at running Miktrotik CRS305/309 switches
The CRS305 was always my eventual go to if/when I decided to pull the trigger on upgrading, or adding to my rack.

To get up and running, I think I am just going to start with the following:

TP-Link Multi-WAN Router/FW (ER605) - $80
TP-Link 8 Port Gbe Mng Switch (TL-SG2008) - $95
TP-Link AC1750 MU-MIMO AP w/Injector (EAP245v3) - $90
$265 CAD Total ($200 USD)

This will give me a complete Management picture, with a software controller running in a VM, and WiFi for the Wife.

I will continue to use my Netgear MX510TX Unmanaged other than a couple aggregated 1Gbe ports from the TP-Link.
For my Servers, I will use the 10Gb ports and a 2.5 - 5Gbps connections for myself (only 5E in the walls).
I have a 5spd Aquantia Copper NIC in my workstation and 5Gbps is a bonus, although 2.5 is fine as My 2x 12-drive arrays are
only capable of writing @ 250 - 275MB/s, therefore anything 2.5Gbps+ for my main connection is enough.