Anyone use bulk M500DC for VMs or vSAN?

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by frogtech, Dec 5, 2019.

1. frogtech

frogtech Well-Known Member

Read a couple reviews on these drives. They seem to just barely trail S3700 and in some user anecdotes people claim "phenomenal" performance. They're on the vSAN HCL so that's a plus and I can get 480GBs for half the price of the absolute best offer I'm seeing on 400GB S3700s.

Anyone have real world experience with them and would care to comment?

I'd like to put 8 each in a 4 host setup and eventually scale up to another 2 hosts.

2. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

3. frogtech

4. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

There's even older threads mentioned\referenced about those drives find anything useful there?

5. frogtech

Nah, they are mostly references to ebay listings that are obviously old/expired and some comments here there about what people bought them for. But no one actually talking about how their 'real world' performance was. I saw some comments by Patriot re: spikes in latency, and I do know that Micron released FW for that, but it wasn't clear to me if that was really only a boost in latency performance for SQL workloads or if it was for everything.