Anybody know how to access the Pi-Hole command line????

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
This is stupid. I can find a qazillion references to the cli and a qazillion command references but I cannot find how to access the damn thing. :mad:

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
I run it on my Linux box and just ssh to the box and the commands just start with pihole.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
So there's no way to access it via the web interface?

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
Well, if you need a GUI to get to CLI then use webmin and that does have a terminal option.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
There's an update button in the GUI.

Or at least I thought there was but it looks like it's only the lists. You need to get into it with a terminal program to update the actual program. You might be able to through the install script though as well.

I'm guessing you downloaded an image vs installing it?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yea, I downloaded an image.
Seems strange that this would be so difficult. This is what it says but doesn't give a clue about how to do it.

Screenshot from 2024-03-22 12-38-16.png

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Think I've figured out how to ssh into p-hole but it's rejecting my password. I've tried both "dietpi" and the password I set and neither will work.
this is the command I'm using from the Linux terminal - ssh pi@192.168.10.2

Screenshot from 2024-03-22 13-16-45.png

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
Well, then try the bottle un/pw and then from there you can edit the .conf to clear the password and reset it from the GUI.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Well, then try the bottle un/pw and then from there you can edit the .conf to clear the password and reset it from the GUI.
There's no doubt what the password is. I can log into the web page just fine. I also know what the default password is and it doesn't work either. :(

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
Well, then I would export all of your settings from the image and install a local copy to the machine and import the snapshot.

The updates don't really do much though other than add eye candy and metrics.

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023

The Big Blocklist Collection - huge number of block lists

This makes things easier to accumulate blocks when installing again.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
This entire fiasco is beyond stupid. Just tried to access it from a Windows box and got a message says "Placeholder Page. The site owner hasn't put up a page yet, bla bla bla" I can access the web page from my Linux box so this is bullshit. I also tried using putty and got the invalid password bullshit I got in Linux.
After fighting all day I'm convinced that nobody in general has a ****ing clue, including me. This is a simple task that should be documented on the web somewhere and/or enough people should know that someone who KNOWS would have chimed in by now. Next step is to just nuke the damn box and do a fresh reinstall and hope the downloaded image is the current one. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015

The Big Blocklist Collection - huge number of block lists

This makes things easier to accumulate blocks when installing again.
Yea, I have a ton of blocklists installed and don't remember having any problem loading them.

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
You're expecting a lot from support provided for free over the internet. If you want better support I suggest paying someone.

Next step is to just nuke the damn box and do a fresh reinstall and hope the downloaded image is the current one
I would make backups of the config and start fresh

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
Relying on others is a bad idea when it comes to the security side of things. The whole image for dummies approach leads to frustration like yours. The simplicity of things though is it's a 1 line CLI to update the modules but, if it's a container/image then it's up to up to you to figure it out. I don't know how you setup your systems or how things are running but I can only give you breadcrumbs to get you there eventually.

The lack of an update won't kill your network though. If there's not an issue then don't fix it.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
You're expecting a lot from support provided for free over the internet. If you want better support I suggest paying someone.

I would make backups of the config and start fresh
I don't recall asking you for anything.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Relying on others is a bad idea when it comes to the security side of things. The whole image for dummies approach leads to frustration like yours. The simplicity of things though is it's a 1 line CLI to update the modules but, if it's a container/image then it's up to up to you to figure it out. I don't know how you setup your systems or how things are running but I can only give you breadcrumbs to get you there eventually.

The lack of an update won't kill your network though. If there's not an issue then don't fix it.
No issues at all. Just want to get this resolved for future reference. I may put together another box, there's a possibility it may have asked me to specify ssh credentials and I skipped that part. Yea, I'm groping at straws.