Anybody installed another OS on QNAP TS-h1886XU-RP R2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cmmh

Feb 26, 2021
This NAS has a Xeon D-1622 and 16 GB of RAM. Comes with a QNAP NAS OS.
Unfortunately, no video output at all. I did find a console header on the motherboard, and a poorly labeled header that might support an eDP display via a ribbon-type cable.

I was considering trying to install TrueNAS Scale on it, as I sort of don't trust their OS given their CVE history.

Any one tapped into the console port and made an install work?

Thanks!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Depends on what you expect.
Qnap is like TrueNAS just a common Linux v.x with SAMBA v.y + ZFS ZoL v.z + a web-gui + some apps

Problems around Linux, SAMBA and ZFS are the same and depent on Linux, SAMBA and ZoL release.
As you cannot decide or update ZFS or ZoL or SAMBA yourself, update policy of the whole appliance software may differ but Qnap and Truenas should not be too different. Problems with gui and included apps may be different.

cmmh

Feb 26, 2021
Sorry, I feel pretty dumb about this post. Since it has has PCI slots, I was able to plug in a video card and do my install. With this NAS there is a fair amount of sharing PCIe lanes, so I'll have to decide whether or not to leave the video adapter in there at the loss of some lanes for the dual-port 10Gbit adapter.