Any workaround for Supermicro Java IPMI in 2017?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LagrangePoint

Jul 6, 2016
Decatur, AL
I've got a Supermicro Atom A1SRM-2578F that is quietly humming along as my FreeNAS server, but I can't help but wonder if some day I'll be unable to use the Java IPMI feature on desktop clients.

Hoping to avoid using the VGA port, has anyone found a way to update to HTML5 IPMI or use a fork of noVNC? Google seems to say "No" but I'm just polling here to see what others have done or plan on doing. Are there any similar MoBo's coming out that would have a more modern IPMI interface?

LagrangePoint

Jul 6, 2016
Decatur, AL
I'll have to call their support number and see about the firmware update. The website still lists 2.26 as the latest version. I've been eyeing the Atom C3338 offerings, but since it still uses the AST2400 BMC controller will it have the new HTML5 IPMI capability? The SM website doesn't make clear to me which motherboards offer HTML KVM and which ones use the legacy java based KVM.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
installing an (old) os with window manager, browser + java in a vm just for acessing old ipmi over years could be an option. also, in terms of security, just isolate the vm from public internet would be wise.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I have found an IPMIView project for Linux that works. it is an app java project so all is contained within the folder. still works on Linux Mint 17.3.
I have an old SM opteron server and have issues with IPMI WebUI. client allows me to attach CD/DVD drive remotely while webUI does not.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
I have found an IPMIView project for Linux that works. it is an app java project so all is contained within the folder. still works on Linux Mint 17.3.
I have an old SM opteron server and have issues with IPMI WebUI. client allows me to attach CD/DVD drive remotely while webUI does not.
Would you mind sharing a link ?
The fact that i don't run Windows and also have no intention to nail-down any browser to an old version is why i came up with a VM just for old ipmi / java.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I think I got it directly from supermicro ftp
ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/utility/IPMIView/Linux/

if not I might have the files at home.

PS> the fact is I do not run any windows at home as well :)

Reactions: _alex

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Another option is just downloading the JNLP files and running them manually without using the browser. This works cross-platform with any OS supporting java.

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
The X10/X11 Xeon boards mostly seem to have Redfish HTML5-based IPMI firmware by now. My X10SLM-F and X11SSL-F do; you'll have to download that yourself though. Not sure about the C2000-based Atom boards though.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
well, I have the tar file for Linux but it is too large to upload here. so i am not sure how to help more.
the super micro ftp site is finicky, it took me 20 retries and restarts to get the file, and it only worked this morning. about 7AM EST