Any wordpress gurus?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Looking to move STH to a newer responsive theme in the next few weeks. I was going to hire someone but figured I would ask here.

Big gotchas:
  1. Theme from same vendor but a few things have changed. Namely, no more custom post types and review data may need to get re-mapped.
  2. STH is getting "old" as in over 18 quarters of legacy stuff in there

I think a super good result would be if we could get a version working with HAproxy doing SSL termination this round.

If anyone here is a WP genius, is for hire, and wants to take on a project please let me know.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Well - I looked into it and there is a fairly easy but manually intensive way to do this. Post type converter -> regular posts. Setup new categories/ ratings/ permalink structure then convert back:

31 workstation reviews
49 server reviews
9 software reviews
2 home automation articles

91 manual switch-overs is not so bad I guess. Still seems like quite a bit of work. Maybe I should host a come hack at STH Saturday one weekend and get everyone food/ beer and free hardware to take home day.

Reactions: Chuckleb

sean

Sep 26, 2013
CT
WordPress has a (very, very) large API. I would think the functions required to do the conversion would not be hard to find and you could hack up a script to run it. Keep it outside the www root but include the config file and I think it will work. Sort of like their cron functionality perhaps.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
WordPress has a (very, very) large API. I would think the functions required to do the conversion would not be hard to find and you could hack up a script to run it. Keep it outside the www root but include the config file and I think it will work. Sort of like their cron functionality perhaps.
I think you are right. It is really just the question of time. It would probably take me about the same time to do that as to just do it manually.

The harder part is going to be setting up the site again!