Any tips on removing CISCO rack server lids? Is this the worst mechanism in server history?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chrgrose

Jul 18, 2018
So, Cisco rack servers use a lid-opening mechanism that requires you to press down on a thumb-sized button in the lid, which moves the metal bracket the button is installed on, below a barrier, unlocking the cover. To remove the cover you then just pull it toward the rear of the server and, in theory, it will slide off.

Previously, I've only had limited experience with these servers, and I've known them for jamming every once in a while. Very annoying and it often takes some strength, or a tool to unjam the mechanism, to get the cover off.

More recently, I received a shipment of 15 UCS C240 M3 servers. In about half of them the covers come off with some ease, and a few of them require some strength. However, in about 3 or 4 of these, I absolutely cannot get the cover to budge regardless of what I do with the button or how much force I apply. In one of these I have now completely destroyed the button area trying to shove screw drivers and other objects in there in an attempt to free the cover. The lip of the cover is also covered with scratches, trying to wedge something in to apply more force.

Anyway, am I wrong to suspect that this is the worst lid removal mechanism in server history? Any tips on opening Cisco servers with jammed buttons? Is this why the second hand market on cisco servers is dirt cheap? I think I hate these servers. My forearms certainly do.

sth2100

Feb 22, 2022
I have only used the M4 generation of these servers. I haven't had any issue with them - they always come right off and are very similar to the HP servers.

I believe on my M4 generation there is a lock mechanism on the tab - does that exist on your M3 model and is it possibly engaging the lock?

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Well, with UCS servers, I've mainly dealt with UCS B servers (blades), but yeah - their cover design isn't great, though I never had issues opening them, even in M3 blades.
If you plan to run 15 UCS rack servers, consider integrating them into UCSM (running on Fabric Interconnect) - a switch and management module combo.