Any soldering experts here?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Bit of a tangent from me, should you wreck it... my modus operandi for video and hifi has been discrete components for decades. Without proprietary DSPitis. So HDMI out from a PC running Kodi or similar and discrete high quality audio out, going into a discrete, high quality, class A amplifier. Or more than one amplifier, depending on the number of speakers you want. Since DTS-HD MA I can't tell any difference anymore between it and newer stuff. So for me that's the end of that ladder. Also important: Fix the room. I.e. minimize reflections. Correct speaker position. Correct seating, if this is for a home theater.
This is the real answer. Let your amp just be an amp, direct analog passthrough. A discrete DAC can be super cheap. Even if you want some DSP room correction, you should give it as good of a starting point as possible with positioning and room treatment. You don't have to cover the walls with panels, just the points of first reflection; carpeting, covering windows with thick curtains, etc. all make a noticeable impact.

Reactions: Markess and Fritz