Any recommendations for a 101 on provisioning resources to VMs/containers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

el_pedr0

Sep 6, 2016
I'm about to start setting up containers and possibly some VMs on my proxmox install. Does anyone have any reading recommendations that would teach me the basics of deciding how to provision resources when setting up the VMs and containers (i.e. how many cores, how much memory etc)?

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
guess first point is to estimate what your guests would require (or do, if you do p2v) on baremetal. also requirements from the os and services-manuals of what you plan to run is a good point to begin with.
without knowing your workload nobody can tell you how you should provision.

Reactions: el_pedr0

el_pedr0

Sep 6, 2016
I'm disappointed in your crystal ball skills. ;)

Thanks for your suggestions. That gives me a start as to how to structure my research. I wasn't expecting to be handed it all on a plate (as magical as that would have been), so I phrased the question around a resource so I could read up on how to go about coming to those decisions.

Sadly I have no handle on what various applications and activities require. So I will first try to research that. As an example, one of my first containers will probably be an ubuntu server where I will bind mount my zfs pools for sharing via nfs and samba with the rest of the network.