Any mining on an OC'd 8700K?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm curious if anyone is mining Monero or Aeon on a highly OC'd (4.8-5Ghz) i7-8700K and what kind of performance you're getting.

onsit

Jan 5, 2018
I'm curious if anyone is mining Monero or Aeon on a highly OC'd (4.8-5Ghz) i7-8700K and what kind of performance you're getting.
I get ~550-600 H/s on a Ryzen 1800x. Which has more cores and 4mb more cache. Clockspeed doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but it's the cache size.

You can expect about 450-500 H/s. Since you can only really run 6 threads.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I get ~550-600 H/s on a Ryzen 1800x. Which has more cores and 4mb more cache. Clockspeed doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but it's the cache size.

You can expect about 450-500 H/s. Since you can only really run 6 threads.
I see. So L3 cache is the big factor not clock speed.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Clock (and cache) speed do affect mining performance.
But in order to make up for two additional cores that a larger L3 cache allows you to use, you would have to overclock your I7-8700k by ~33%. Good luck with that ;)
And since power efficiency usually goes down the drain with high overclocks, lower clocked CPUs with more cores and cache are more efficient.

onsit

Jan 5, 2018
It's a balancing act, grab a watt-meter. Try a few overclocks, try to disable things like turbo/speedstep and see what yields the best Hash / watt. You may be surprised to learn that a combination of overclock, and using less cores may yield the most efficient results.

But with the current decaying exhaustion of XMR - it may make sense to forgo optimal hash / watts in favor of higher mining power before CPU mining stops being efficient for Monero / aeon.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
It's a balancing act, grab a watt-meter. Try a few overclocks, try to disable things like turbo/speedstep and see what yields the best Hash / watt. You may be surprised to learn that a combination of overclock, and using less cores may yield the most efficient results.

But with the current decaying exhaustion of XMR - it may make sense to forgo optimal hash / watts in favor of higher mining power before CPU mining stops being efficient for Monero / aeon.
I don't have an 8700k right now but I'm building a new workstation and just trying to understand the mining capabilities of all the different CPUs I'm considering. I'm mainly looking at the TR 1950x but was considering some cheaper options.

onsit

Jan 5, 2018
I don't have an 8700k right now but I'm building a new workstation and just trying to understand the mining capabilities of all the different CPUs I'm considering. I'm mainly looking at the TR 1950x but was considering some cheaper options.
Build a PC to fit your gaming needs, any mining potential is just a plus. Otherwise you will end up with a sub-par gaming rig, and a sub par mining rig and you won't be happy.

The ryzen will blow the hell out of the 8700k in terms of hash rate, but it will also not perform as well on CPU bound games. Trade off is not worth it if your primary concern is gaming. The TR is a terrible option in the regard, an overclocked Ryzen 1700 is fun but also not as good as 8700k

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Build a PC to fit your gaming needs, any mining potential is just a plus. Otherwise you will end up with a sub-par gaming rig, and a sub par mining rig and you won't be happy.

The ryzen will blow the hell out of the 8700k in terms of hash rate, but it will also not perform as well on CPU bound games. Trade off is not worth it if your primary concern is gaming. The TR is a terrible option in the regard, an overclocked Ryzen 1700 is fun but also not as good as 8700k
I game maybe 5% of the time on it. So while I do want the gaming to be good, I'm not after the best possible gaming out there.