Any cheap reasonable Skylake single or dual cpu MB you can recommend?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
x11dph-t $300 ???
another $289
I bought this MB and it arrived today. Then i notice that none of the three x16 slots are attached to CPU1 and none of the 4 pcie8x that are attached to cpu1 are open ended.
How the world am I going to fit in a video card and use it to boot up to test with 1 cpu? so inconvenient! Never seen this in any other supermicro MB til this one!!!

nexox

May 3, 2023
Why put a GPU in it? I agree that's an odd PCIe slot layout, but it has onboard video and IPMI, just use those for initial testing.

Reactions: Markess and Bert

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Why put a GPU in it? I agree that's an odd PCIe slot layout, but it has onboard video and IPMI, just use those for initial testing.
My old monitor with the VGA input is not always out in the open. and beside that, all of the other monitors i am using regularly right now, none of them have the vga input. So its a real PITA to have to use the aspeed vga.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
x11dph-t $300 ???
another $289
Also, just noticed that the board i got is rev 1.01 . I notice in the downloaded manual, the picture shows rev 1.10. Am i missing out on some featues . The manual didn't say anything like 1.01 cannot use cascade lake but again, i am a bit suspicious that there could be some limitations to 1.01 vs 1.10

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
board rev. 1.01 was still with omnipath fabric support ( 'F' suffix SKU)
intel discontinioud the 'F' type processors, so supermicro removed support in rev. 1.10
same with X11DPi-N(T)
up to 1.21 omnipath fabric support
2.0x NO omnipath fabric support

Reactions: wildpig1234

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
board rev. 1.01 was still with omnipath fabric support ( 'F' suffix SKU)
intel discontinioud the 'F' type processors, so supermicro removed support in rev. 1.10
same with X11DPi-N(T)
up to 1.21 omnipath fabric support
2.0x NO omnipath fabric support
good to know... so 1.01 is actually the better one with more supported features? lol..

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I still think that amd implementation of the new socket with torx screws are better than intel.

for one, amd socket using a T20 torx is a lot more common and is included in most kits compared to T30 large torx size for intel.

for two, at least amd still has the frame on the mb to hold the cpu in place without having to have the fan in place. when you have the cpu torx down, you just want to leave the cpu in place and not mess with it even when you are done playing and testing and want to put it away in a box with the fans removed so that maybe you can use the same fans to test out another mb. intel design completely makes that impossible and very inconvenient!

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
OMG OMG! just discovered the CMOS clear contact for 1.01 MB is actually under the intel PCH heat sink!!!! WTF! what kind of idiot engineer decision is that??!?

Well, they corrected that in 1.10 and moved it to a normal place out of the area covered by that heat sink. i am trying to see how i can remove that heatsink to do a cmos reset ;(

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
i am trying to see how i can remove that heatsink to do a cmos reset ;(
let it be. damage the board.
My old monitor with the VGA input is not always out in the open. and beside that, all of the other monitors i am using regularly right now, none of them have the vga input. So its a real PITA to have to use the aspeed vga.
login to BMCWebGUI(IPMI) and look remotely whats going on....

Reactions: wildpig1234

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I still think that amd implementation of the new socket with torx screws are better than intel.

for one, amd socket using a T20 torx is a lot more common and is included in most kits compared to T30 large torx size for intel.

for two, at least amd still has the frame on the mb to hold the cpu in place without having to have the fan in place. when you have the cpu torx down, you just want to leave the cpu in place and not mess with it even when you are done playing and testing and want to put it away in a box with the fans removed so that maybe you can use the same fans to test out another mb. intel design completely makes that impossible and very inconvenient!
I still think amd has better implementation of these sockets..lol

nexox

May 3, 2023
I haven't played with any AMD CPUs since socket C32, but after I got used to the LGA3647 setup I think it's fine - I like that I can pull a CPU and cooler to test with one socket, then reinstall, without replacing the thermal interface material. Swapping coolers on a socket seems like more or less the same overall effort, just in a different order, and nobody freaks out about torque wrenches like they do with AMD stuff.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I haven't played with any AMD CPUs since socket C32, but after I got used to the LGA3647 setup I think it's fine - I like that I can pull a CPU and cooler to test with one socket, then reinstall, without replacing the thermal interface material. Swapping coolers on a socket seems like more or less the same overall effort, just in a different order, and nobody freaks out about torque wrenches like they do with AMD stuff.
guess each has their own opinion...lol... but having played with epyc 1st and 2nd gen also, i like their system a bit better.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I like amd SP sockets because you can leave a cpu in the socket whether as you can't leave a cpu installed in a lga3647 without cooler installed.
It's nice to be able to leave cpu in place a lot of time

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I went ahead and got the X11DPi-N. Couldn't stand the fact of not being able to use gfx card with one cpu installed!

On the other hand, dual 6140 when optimized with avx512 was nearly as fast as single epyc 7702 calculating pi with y cruncher. Which is amazing....lol..

nexox

May 3, 2023
I probably would have just gently opened the end of an x8 or x4 slot, but that's a decent board too.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I probably would have just gently opened the end of an x8 or x4 slot, but that's a decent board too.
How do you do that 1. not risk damaging the connection pins 2. clean smooth edge at the end so that the gfx card pcie connectors will smoothly fit in and wont get damaged due to jagged edges, 3. not risk damaging the MB?

nexox

May 3, 2023
How do you do that 1. not risk damaging the connection pins 2. clean smooth edge at the end so that the gfx card pcie connectors will smoothly fit in and wont get damaged due to jagged edges, 3. not risk damaging the MB?
I like to get a thin nose pair of pliers in there, grab the bit of plastic covering the end of the slot, and just break it out a bit at a time, but there are other options, I could probably do it with a wood chisel, many people seem to think a Dremel is a sane choice.