Any cheap reasonable Skylake single or dual cpu MB you can recommend?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I like to get a thin nose pair of pliers in there, grab the bit of plastic covering the end of the slot, and just break it out a bit at a time, but there are other options, I could probably do it with a wood chisel, many people seem to think a Dremel is a sane choice.
It;s a lot of risk to the pins at the end of the slot!

On that note, I just can't see why MB manufacturers don't all have every single pcie slots as open ended! I think this is just another decision to force you to buy the "pro" or "workstation" MB! There is no added cost or disadvantage to having ALL the slots open ended, no matter if it's 1X or 8X. Except the cost that a lot of people might not buy your "pro or WS" MB...lol

Last edited:

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Just found this if anyone else also interested: X11-DPi-NT for $272 OBO . Does have additional shipping cost from CA. Offer accepted at $260.
Pretty decent for a 10Gbit dual LAN MB

Reactions: nexox

nexox

May 3, 2023
Another idea for the GPU is to get a cheap WX2100 and just cut off the back half of the slot connector which has no contacts.

Reactions: wildpig1234

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
It;s a lot of risk to the pins at the end of the slot!

On that note, I just can't see why MB manufacturers don't all have every single pcie slots as open ended! I think this is just another decision to force you to buy the "pro" or "workstation" MB! There is no added cost or disadvantage to having ALL the slots open ended, no matter if it's 1X or 8X. Except the cost that a lot of people might not buy your "pro or WS" MB...lol
For open ended / more than 8x or higher slot they'd be required to run traces for 75W of power instead of 25W by the spec, which 1) costs money b) costs money

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
For open ended / more than 8x or higher slot they'd be required to run traces for 75W of power instead of 25W by the spec, which 1) costs money b) costs money
They could always label it as wired only for 4x. No one would would ever put a 4070 into one of those slots