Another... -> Need Help Selecting Chassis for Media Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Oh and before you settle on buying from the bay you might want to check this thread... and see if @sfbayzfs has what you are searching for (including motherboard, cpu, cables etc. etc.)...

more than a few of us have spare parts as well so if part of what you want is doing it yourself then we may also be able to help you out.

Seion

Sep 1, 2016
Northern Kentucky
Thanks for the info, I still need to read through and process it a couple of times.
I am currently running Debian 11 on the Dell, no hypervisor or anything.

My requirements are pretty flexible but the idea would be:
  • I have 7 "HGST Ultrastar 10TB" being shipped right now to me
  • Ideally I would like min of 12 Bays but would prefer at least 16 for future expand
  • As for Price I am willing to pay extra to get some more modern hardware for better performance and power cost saving, but do not need cutting edge.
  • I'd prefer to have at least 8 cores or more. It's primarily going to be a Plex Media Server, but I like to play around with other stuff once in a while and will also have a couple minecraft servers running on it for the kids.
  • I would like to setup a raid 5/6 group so that I can have some redundancy
  • I want to have the remote management like iDRAC or something similar with console view and "HTML5"/Web Management ability.

I will keep reading your info and this forum and do some googling, but if you have any straight suggestions at specific hardware I will take them :)

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
budget? something a little more definitive would be helpful.

my straightforward advice based on your use case is either adding a GPU For plex duties (so your motherboard needs a physical x16 slot (not necessarily data x16) *or* split plex off to its own box and serve up the storage to the plex box from the "big server".

You are currently using an IT mode controller so I am going with software RAID is fine.

Don't forget a backup strategy unless your user and plex media data is recoverable in some other fashion.

Seion

Sep 1, 2016
Northern Kentucky
I could go up to 2k but would like it to be around 1k or less.

I'm fine with software raid, unless hardware raid would be better. I did it mode before because I did not need/want raid before.

lol that HP Expander / LSI Card / Hot Swap Bays all came from an Antec setup I bought from sfbayzfs years ago :)

Last edited:
Reactions: itronin

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I think that you will be hard pressed to come up with an all in one solution for 1k. I think you can get the functionality for < 1K as long as you are willing to have 2 systems.

assumptiom: You have either a FH or HH pcie x8 slot available in the DELL.

Thoughts:
Storage/computes:
Keep the DELL.
Buy a purpose built JBOD shelf (DS4246 or equiv. sun, dell, etc. etc., 2xION's 2xPSU, 24 LFF bays). ~$500.00USD shipped
Buy a couple of SFF-8088 cables $50.00 USD shipped.
SW Raid: Dump the expander. Get a LSI 92xx-8e IT mode card. ~$50.00USD shipped.
OR
HW RAid: Dump the expander. Get an LSI 9285-8e R mode card ~$50.00USD shipped.

Plex with QSV HW transcoding:
Buy an HP290 w/ Celeron 4900 (see link @j_h_o) provided ~$200.00 USD shipped.
Add 4GB of memory ~$25.00 USD shipped.

all in is about $825.00 ... only hardware messing about you have to do is install the raid card and cable up the JBOD.

Reactions: Seion

Seion

Sep 1, 2016
Northern Kentucky
I am willing to build a system from
or parts from other members

So maybe?
A 3/4U from "Supermicro chassis' with 3.5" hotswap bays" section

I'll track down a Quadro P2000 or something so maybe could skip on the QuickSync so maybe grab up a X10 board from him also or an atom?

Not sure if any of the SAS Controllers he has would support Hardware raid but I think I want to go with Hardware Raid.

Maybe try and sag a X10 Xeon board from him since I am going with Hardware Transcoding

So My Requirements would now be:
  • Hardware Raid
  • Hardware Transcoding (Quadro?) (Needs to fit in the 3/4U ??) ( I have a crap ton of RTX 2060/3060 Cards I could steal from if it would be better than a Quadro )
  • One System
  • Supermicro 3U/4U
  • X10 Board for upgraded IPMI Version or other board with Good version of Remote Management

Would upgrading if possible to SAS3 components provide any benefits? I am ordering the "HGST Ultrastar 10TB" which I think support it.

Will put me over budget probably, but I guess thats fine..

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I am willing to build a system from
or parts from other members

So maybe?
A 3/4U from "Supermicro chassis' with 3.5" hotswap bays" section
IMO for okay prices
836 's are still available - relatively easy to find.
846's are harder and harder to come by right now - see 2 on the bay for okay pricing right now but will require upgrades.

things to consider. You'll probably want 920-SQ power supplies (number of drives and noise reduction).

I'll track down a Quadro P2000 or something so maybe could skip on the QuickSync so maybe grab up a X10 board from him also or an atom?
Its a good choice, single slot width, power from the slot and not an additional cable. If you have not checked out the QSV/nvenc link I recommend it. For h.265 transcoding and down res this is a good card. Not so much for 4k down and definitely not for HDR.

Not sure if any of the SAS Controllers he has would support Hardware raid but I think I want to go with Hardware Raid.
If you are okay with Adaptec then the 71605 - 16 ports (or 72405 24 ports) might be a good choice. BBU, cache memory, single card, single slot. run hotter than LSI but in a server chassis should not even be a problem.

Maybe try and sag a X10 Xeon board from him since I am going with Hardware Transcoding

So My Requirements would now be:
  • Hardware Raid
  • Hardware Transcoding (Quadro?) (Needs to fit in the 3/4U ??) ( I have a crap ton of RTX 2060/3060 Cards I could steal from if it would be better than a Quadro )
  • One System
  • Supermicro 3U/4U
  • X10 Board for upgraded IPMI Version or other board with Good version of Remote Management
Lanes and Slots.

Storage lane budget , figure an x8 for each controller, ie if you need 16 ports then two by x8 etc, unless you can go with a single x8 card that has all your ports.

consumer graphics cards (and low end quadro) are driver limited to 2 streams. The cards you listed are dual slot width so that will take away from what you have available on the motherboard. You'll also need a harness to take molex and go to your consumer card. This is why the P2000/P400/P620 are desirable in these instances. slot power and single width. The cuda cores do not factor into the transcoding performance and the P2000/P400/P620 all use the same transcoding chipset which also is the same chipset in the RTX2xxx series.

E5-26xx will have 40 lanes available (depending on motherboard) - lower cost DDR3 memory option, v1,v2 cpu, X9SRL-F (no slot bifurcation support), X10SRL-F DDR4 memory v3,v4 cpu (with slot bifurcation support). all lanes are exposed on both. X10SRL-F has bmc html5 kvm support. X9SRL-F has the out of support (cert out of date) java based kvm.

IMO best bang for buck core count speed is the E5-2680v4 which also fits the core count you mentioned previously.

Would upgrading if possible to SAS3 components provide any benefits? I am ordering the "HGST Ultrastar 10TB" which I think support it.

Will put me over budget probably, but I guess thats fine..
for spinners probably won't make a difference. I believe there are both SAS and SATA variants of that drive - any further details you can share to see which one you are getting?

If you go with a TQ backplane you can run sata or SAS3 (or SAS2) depending on the controller. Just more cables.
for the 836 the BPN-SAS3-836EL1/EL2 expander backplane has been and I think still is essentially unobtanium but you would only need one 8 port raid card with an expander backplane. the 836 SAS2 expander backplanes are widely available.

if it were me, I'd go TQ even if you have to cable it yourself since it is IMO a much more flexible backplane.

On budget - maybe.

FWIW and being repetitious - The cost of a standalone plex box (HP290 celeron 4900) is less than the cost of a P2000 and arguably is a better transcoding engine...

may have some more details in a while.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
If you care about power consumption, the Quadro cards pull quite a bit of power, even when idle. I would look at the Intel options, personally.

The proprietary systems sometimes come up at lower prices, but severely limit your future upgrade and expansion options. I would either hack on expansion in your current system via external SFF-8088/SFF-8644, or just replace it with a Supermicro chassis.

Personally, I wouldn't want "more stuff" so I would just wholesale replace into 1 Supermicro chassis, with an Intel CPU that could do hw transcoding, and call it a day.

Last edited:

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
SAS drives also pull more power. A popular sweet spot is SATA drives shucked from enclosures -- even with failures, or loss of warranty, I think you'd end up ahead, if you consider all the costs.

Sorry I may have missed this: Why do you want hardware RAID as a requirement? I would suggest you "just" figure out a way to scale the storage across disks. And if you're worried about redundancy, do a backup (of important/hard to find media) onto a second disk -- keep a second copy, and make it cheap/easy to recover. Hardware RAID is going to give you a lot of false security, power usage, and probably problems.

Last edited: