Another flashing H310 problem...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RGuyler

Apr 13, 2018
Hi all.

I have a pair of H310s I am trying to flash to IT mode to install in a pair of HP DL380 G8s for Storage Spaces Direct.

I was able to flash the first HBA using the well-documented process that's all over the place these days (it's how I found this site :) ). The second HBA...well...now that's a different story so I'm hoping the experts here can help as I have been searching and trying different thigns for 2 days and about to throw this thing to the alligators.

The root problem I believe is that the second HBA is not being recognized by megacli but the only message I get when I run the initial command to capture the SAS address is the error code 0x01. I searched for that error code but nothing useful popped up.

Running "megarec -adplist" I get this:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MegaRAID HWR Contoller Recovery tool. Version 01.01-004 February 05, 2010
Copyright (c) 2006-2008 LSI Corp.
Supports 1078 controller and its Successors.
Identified MR Cards Count: 1
List of Identified Cards
------------------------
MR Card 0
Type: 2008
Vendor Id: 0x1000, Device Id: 0x72
Slot No: 2, Device Function: 0x0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did have this HBA running with the RAID FW (ESXi 6.5) just fine but when I dropped it into a PC it does show up in Windows Device Manager but is reported to have an error. I doubt that the hardware is faulty since it ran fine in the server but can't rule that out at this point. Windows 10 loaded an LSI driver for it if that helps sort this out.

So here is what I have tried so far:

1. I tried this in one of the servers, a new UEFI PC and an old BIOS PC - same thing for all
2. Replaced the USB in case of bad hardware
3. Tried numerous version of megacli.exe
4. Launched megacli in Windows x64 - errors out but I at least got a "device not found" message
5. Ran every executable on the USB drive to see what output I could get lol

At this point, I don't know where to turn to troubleshoot further so hopefully somebody can help.

TIA,
Rik

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
The root problem I believe is that the second HBA is not being recognized by megacli but the only message I get when I run the initial command to capture the SAS address is the error code 0x01. I searched for that error code but nothing useful popped up.
Is the card in run mode (heatbeat LED blinking)? If so, and it has a BIOS loaded (which it should if it still has Dell firmware), go into the BIOS and you can get the SAS address from the adapter properties menu.

Reactions: RGuyler

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Since Megarec can see the card, you should be able to flash it. Megacli and other lsi raid tools don't work with cards that were already flashed with IT FW.
Can old sas2flsh version P14 or below see the card? It can get the SAS address and you can pipe it a file or write it down. You need the older version and flash the FW first before using the P20 and doing the latest.

sas2flsh -o -list

Also assuming you are trying this on DOS or EFI and not in windows command prompt.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RGuyler

Apr 13, 2018
Thanks to the both of you for the replies.

Terry, I don't recall seeing the HBA post and give me the configuration option so maybe that's a sign that it does have IT FW on it already? I'll double-check to confirm as I haven't been paying attention until the USB was booted.

nthu9280, you may be right . I considered this but didn't how to confirm that so I'll do as you suggest and see what I get. At least now I have another step or two in the troubleshooting process.

Rik

RGuyler

Apr 13, 2018
Okay, I tried using sas2flash P13 and P14 and both gave the same results. When I ran "sas2flsh -o -list" the first time here is what it told me:

LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 13.00.00.00 (2012.02.17)
Copyright (c) 2008-2012 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved
Advanced Mode Set
Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)
Controller is not operational. A firmware download is required.
Enter firmware file name or quit to exit: 2118it.bin Executing Operation: Flash Firmware Image
Firmware Image has a Valid Checksum.
Firmware Image compatible with Controller.
Valid NVDATA Image found.
NVDATA Device ID and Chip Revision match verified.
Valid Initialization Image verified.
Valid BootLoader Image verified.
Chip is in RESET state. Attempting Host Boot...
Firmware Host Boot Successful.
Writing Current Mfg Page 2 Settings to NVRAM.
Failed to Validate Mfg Page 2!
Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to Process Commands.
Exiting SAS2Flash.

Without rebooting, I ran it a second time and got this:

LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 13.00.00.00 (2012.02.17)
Copyright (c) 2008-2012 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved
Advanced Mode Set
Controller Number : 0
Controller : SAS2008(B2)
PCI Address : 00:0f:00:00
SAS Address : Undetermined
NVDATA Version (Default) : 0c.00.00.04
NVDATA Version (Persistent) : 00.00.00.00
ERROR: Failed to Upload Image!
Firmware information could not be retrieved
BIOS Version : N/A
UEFI BSD Version : N/A
FCODE Version : N/A
Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to Process Commands.
Exiting SAS2Flash.

I attempted the same with P20 and would up with the same results. I'm unclear if an undetermined SAS address is the same as no SAS address. Any more ideas on what to try next? I don't have much hair left to pull out. :)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Can you run P7 with Dell Firmware ?
sas2flsh.exe -o -f 6GBPSAS.fw
That usually works with the "Failed to Validate Mfg Page 2!" message. After that you can then move on to crossflash to IT/IR P20

RGuyler

Apr 13, 2018
Rand_, I followed your advice and looks like I'm making progress so thanks for that!

My question now is...is not having a SAS address going to present a problem? If yes, can I just use sas2flsh to write a made-up address to it or is there a better to do this?

LSI Corporation SAS2Flash Utility.
Version 7.15.00.00 (2011.05.02)
Copyright (c) 2009 - 2010 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved.
Advanced Mode Set
Controller Number : 0
Controller : SAS2008(B2)
PCI Address : 00:0f:00:00
SAS Address : 0000000-0-0000-0000
NVDATA Version (Default) : 07.00.00.19
NVDATA Version (Persistant) : 07.00.00.19
Firmware Product ID : 0x2713
Firmware Version : 07.15.08.00
NVDATA Vendor : Dell
NVDATA Product ID : 6GbpsSAS
BIOS Version : N/A
UEFI BSD Version : N/A
FCODE Version : N/A
Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
Exiting SAS2Flash.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
IIrc you only need it if you have two or more cards in your system. And its just for differentiating, so if you get any address and just modify it between 2+ cards then it should be fine

RGuyler

Apr 13, 2018
It sounds like I'm on the path to resolution. Once again, I appreciate all of the suggestions and input!