AMD Threadripper Pro destroys Epyc Milan!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

koifish59

Sep 30, 2020
I’m looking to build a 3 node ESXi cluster with either TR Pro 3975WX paired with THIS motherboard, or Epyc 7543P paired with THIS motherboard. Spec wise, it looks like Threadripper Pro has all the features offered in Epyc Milan, except much higher performance. Are there any tangible reason why anyone would choose to go with Milan if my deployment is just single socket? Quick specs comparison:

TR Pro 3975WX ($2700)
- 32core / 64 threads
- 3.5ghz base / 4.2ghz boost
- 128mb L3 cache
- 128 pci-e 4.0
- mem: 8 channel, ECC RDIMM, 2TB, 3200mhz

Epyc Milan 7543P ($2700)
- 32core / 64 threads
- 2.8ghz base / 3.7ghz boost
- 256mb L3 cache
- 128 pci-e 4.0
- mem: 8 channel, ECC RDIMM, 2TB, 3200mhz

As you can see, cost and features are nearly identical, but there is a good margin difference for clock speeds (ok sorry, maybe "destroyed" was exaggerated, it was just used for a catch title :D). And also as another comparison, Epyc's highest highest performing CPU, the 75F3, also 32c/64t is clocked at 2.95ghz/4.0ghz boost but almost double the cost!

I don't see why I or anyone else would build an Epyc machine over a TR Pro platform at the cost and performance difference. Someone convince me otherwise!

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Reported for clickbait ;)
If you need a workstation board, and don't mind their prices, I guess TR Pro might be the only option.
Otherwise, you get the newer architecture with Epic Milan - Zen3 vs. Zen2. Clock speed differences are largely compensated by that.
Specifically comparing 3975WX against 7453P, the latter has twice the total L3 cache, and each core has access to twice as much L3 cache thanks to the architectural changes. And with TR Pro you would be buying a CPU that is so close to getting replaced by its predecessor.
I have a lot of other gripes with TR Pro, but those are more ideological, and don't immediately affect the user.
Long story short: I don't see why I or anyone else would build a TR Pro machine (based on Zen2) over an Epyc Milan platform. Well realistically, I would not make such statements about the use-cases others might have. But I guess that statement already served its purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: vcc3

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Someone convince me otherwise!
That like comparing Mack vs Ferrari, right?
Threadripper Pro = Ferrari
Epyc = Mack truck
Threadripper has higher clocks ("faster") -> processes the data faster, but needs to retrieve data from ram more often (ram is manitudes slower than l1,l2 & l3 cache)
that Epyc has more cache ("payload") -> doesn't process data as fast as the tr, but doesn't have to retrieve data from ram as often as the tr

freemarket

Nov 29, 2015
Florida
If you did get the Threadripper Pro with the M12SWA-TF mobo, I am curious if you have attempted to change their relatively loud Supermicro cooler with one from Noctua. The reason I ask this is that though the Noctua NH-U9 TR4/SP3 cooler claims compatibility with this mobo as well as Supermicro support, the fan orientation is transverse to the one provided by Supermicro. Not sure whether I should turn this thing on. I have it in the Supermicro SC743A-1000-SQ chassis which is a 4U tower and it has plenty of internal fans but the orientation is switched 90 degrees so it is oriented to blow are through the sink to the left facing the computer on its side so towards the PCIe slots. Anyone see any issue with this?