AMD motherboard for two ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Card V2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Esra E.

Dec 3, 2015
I'm looking for an AMD motherboard that has two PCIe x16 slots that both can be bifurcated to use two ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 cards with. It is for a proof of concept/lab setup so the cheaper the better. Does any one know of such a thing?

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
There's plenty of Epyc/Threadripper boards with two 16x slots.

On AM4 you're out of luck - there aren't enough PCIe lanes from the CPU and chipset to provide 2*16x lanes.

Zhang

Sep 18, 2018
Most EPYC server motherboards support PCIe bifurcation. I have Supermicro H11SSL and can confirm it supports bifurcation on all the slots.

amp88

Jul 9, 2020
If you don't need an enterprise solution there are many prosumer/HEDT boards which should work for you. der8auer demonstrated your exact use case with a prosumer/HEDT ASUS Zenith Extreme (skip to 7:28):

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
This will give you an idea of which boards support the M.2 carrier.

EPYC and TRX40 support it mostly. I’d expect Threadripper Pro to support it also. Make sure you confirm the bifurcation is available in the BIOS with the manufacturer before purchasing a motherboard though. Depending on the board, things may not be as expected. For example
ASUS on their top end TRX40 boards have a weird bifurcation layout, while the mid-range and “cheap” ASUS TRX40 boards support 4x/4x/4x/4x in every x16 slot.