AMD EYPC Milan BIOS Optimization

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
I start working on AMD EYPC Milan platform (Dell R7525) and noticed BIOS settings such as NUMA Nodes Per Socket and L3 cache as NUMA Domain.

What's the recommendation and impact? Any other settings I should be aware of?

Thanks

Mark

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I start working on AMD EYPC Milan platform (Dell R7525) and noticed BIOS settings such as NUMA Nodes Per Socket and L3 cache as NUMA Domain.

What's the recommendation and impact? Any other settings I should be aware of?

Thanks

Mark
Which milan are you using with the 7525? The Dell has some general settings that will adjust some of the detailed settings that the amd docs describe.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I had a r7525 server with 2 x 7763s and used the performance setting in the bios. that automatically set a few of the parameters including the nps to 4. I used centos to sort out the lstopo (for numa assignments) which you may want to do for your VMs in esx if that is important for your use case. are you planning on getting any milan cpus? I think the 7532 is still the rome series. the 7525 server will support both rome and milan but you need to make sure you are using the correct bios. dell is pretty strict about what they officially support. they prefer that you have them configure the server from the factory and not mess with it. Most folks on sth would prefer to do otherwise :). They do make a nice server though with higher quality parts vs the supermicro and other more diy type vendors. Just keep in mind that dell is one of the companies that vendor locks the amd epyc cpus. That means if you use a amd epyc cpu in the 7525 server, you can't use it in any other vendors server. For some folks that is not that big of a deal, for most people on sth, that becomes very restrictive. ex. you want to upgrade to some milan cpus and try and use your current 7532 cpu in an asrock rack, sm or even hp mb, it might not work!