AMD EPYC Embedded 9004 Series Launched

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
“Driver support to enable Windows Server and Linux applications” as an Embedded Specific Feature feels odd since the AMD EPYC 9004 “Genoa” supports Linux and Windows.
I think these skus are meant for the iot/embedded versions of windows and linux (Red hat) that are differently licensed than the normal version (cores, client licenses etc.), are hardened and have different update strategies

Edit: fix quote problems :D

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
I recall than the EPYC Embedded 3000 series models based on double Zeppelin dies ThreadRipper style weren't particularly popular, saw few products using those. So, aren't these Genoa stupidly big for embedded?
The Dual SPI thing reads almost like a sort of PSB (Platform Secure Boot) replacement as to not transform the entire Processor unit into eWaste. Which makes no sense in embedded, ironically, because you can't move the Processor around...

Oh, also. Just read than they are LGA, thus socketed, not soldered BGA as I was expecting from embedded based on previous products. So what is the difference between these and the standard Genoa parts besides name, then?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Difference to standard parts by features, lifetime (longer), availability, some industrial temp range parts etc. they are intended for storage arrays etc.

Reactions: Patrick